Docking
Temple Wood
postmill


Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills


Docking Temple Wood postmill, unusually, stood in a wood, presumably on a patch of high ground.


1755 map
Map drawn by G. Hagan in 1975


To be Sold to the best Bidder
on the 20th Day of June Instant, at Three o'c in the Afternoon, at the House of Christopher Dixon's at DOCKING in Norfolk, commonly called the Black Horse.
All that WINDMILL late in the Occupation of Henry Blog, together with the Sails, Stones, Going Geers & Appurtenances to the same belonging, the Particulars whereof may be seen in the meantime of Mr. Robert Barber of South Creake in Norfolk.
Norwich Mercury - 26th May - 9th June 1753

Survey 1755 by William Sutton of Kings Newham, Warks.
Mrs. Henly's land 2216a. 0r. 18p.
The site of the 1755 windmill was in Temple Wood about 200 yards south east from the centre of the London pit along Lovers Lane, then about 110 yards into Temple Wood & approximately in line with the Temple. The Temple was sited about 450 yards south of the Hall in the centre of Temple Wood & approximately 130 yards from the mill.
Survey of 1855
"One land on which the windmill stands - Mrs. Henley 0a. 1r. 8p.
Mrs. Henley's plantation at Temple 4a. 1r. 39p.
One piece - Mrs. Henley's on which the Temple stands 2a. 2r. 22p."
Dry Docking - Gerald Hagan, 1975

1753: Henry Blog, miller

may 1753: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1755: Mrs. Henley, owner



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF76643637
Top of Page
Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006