Diss
Sandy Lane
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

1902
1902

Thomas King's Old Mill was moved from Thelnetham in Suffolk to Sandy Lane in 1818 and was set onto a two storey roundhouse. The mill had 4 patent sails that powered 2 pairs of French burr stones and a flour mill in 1857 and 3 pairs by 1902.

It was said that Sandy Lane was named after a local family. Possibilities include:
White's 1845: Samuel Sandy,butcher & grocer (
reputed to be the strongest man in Norfolk because he could lift a whole side of beef single-handedly)
White's 1845: Stephen Sandy, hairdresser
Conveyance 1857: Mr. Sandy, miller

Last but not least, in a field off Sandy Lane there stood a white post-mill with roundhouse which came from Thelnetham, Suffolk, in 1818. It had then belonged to one Thomas King, whose diary records its departure, and is marked on Hodgkinson's map of Suffolk 1783. It latterly belonged to F. W. Jennings who had Mill Cottages built in 1898, and was taken down, apparently in good order, at the turn of the century. The field on which it stood has been ploughed for many years, and only a slight mound remains to indicate where the mill stood.
Diss Antiquarian Society News Sheet - Spring 1973

My Old Mill went to Diss 1818.
Diary of Thomas King of Thelnetham, Suffolk - 1804 - 1838


To be Sold by Auction on 23 September at the Kings Head Inn, Diss. A substantial Post Windmill working two pairs of stones, with a tiled double cottage, garden and yards adjoining, as now in the occupation of Mr. Wiliam Ellis, under lease, of which six years will be unexpired at Michaelmas next. Situate within a mile of the town of Diss.
Ipswich Journal - 19th September 1835

To be Sold. A capital Post Windmill situate at Diss, Norfolk, with wind tackle complete and a new brick built round house of two storeys, Patent Sails, two pairs of stones and flour mill. Also a dwelling house. Apply to John Baldwin, proprietor.
Bury Post - 24th July 1838


Diss Parish Records
POOR RATE 1836
Made 26 September 1836 at 1s. in the pound
No. 38




Occupier
Owner
Mill
Assessed at
Rate at 1s.
William Ellis
John Baldwin
The Common
£10
10s.

Tithe Map 1838
Tithe map 1838 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1837
Map 1838
Owner: John Baldwin
Occupier: William Ellis

No. 1019a

Mill

Pasture

0a. 0r. 8p.

12/6d

Shown as a postmill. 1019a is an enclosure in 1019, Mill Piece. John Baldwin was the owner but the occupier was Jonathan Leathers. The land was shown as an arable plot of 6a. 2r. 25p.

Diss Parish Records
POOR RATE 1845
Made 10 May, 1845 at 19d. in the pound
No. 49





Occupier
Owner
Mill Late Common
0a. 0r. 5p.
Gross Estimated Rental
Rateable Value
Rate at 1s. 7d.
James Chapman
John Baldwin


£24
£12
19s.

Excellent Post Windmill, Small Farm, Accommodation Land & House
Property at Diss …
Messrs. Elliott & Sons
Are favoured with instructions to Sell by Auction at the Kings Head Inn, Diss on Monday July 27, 1857 part of the real ESTATES of the late Mr. John Baldwin, deceased, in 12 lots.
Further particulars in future papers; of Mr. Browne, Solicitor, Diss or of the Auctioneers, Thelton & Thrandeston near Scole.

Norfolk News - 4th July 1857

Messrs. Elliott & Sons are favoured with instructions from the Executors of the late John Baldwin decd. To sell by Auction at the Kings Head Inn, Diss, Monday 27 July 1857 at 5 o’c
The following very eligible property.
Diss Lot 1.
An excellent POST WINDMILL with substantial brick roundhouse patent sails, two pairs of French stones, Flour Mill, Jumper & other going gears in the occupation of Mr. Joseph Bartram as undertenant to Mr. Easto. Also a messuage in two tenements, barn, stable, neat-house, shelter sheds & other outbuildings & six enclosures arable & meadow – 15a.2r.3p. in the occupation of Mr. Solomon Lines & abutting upon the road from Diss Common to Walcot Green.
Lot 2.
Land abutting upon premises of William Ellis
Lot 3.
Double Cottage in occupation of Widow Leathers & John Barham etc.
Apply to Mr. Browne, Solr. Diss or the Auctioneers, Thelton & Thrandeston, near Scole.

Norfolk News - 11th July & Norfolk Chronicle - 18th July 1857

To Let at Diss.
Possession at Michaelmas next
A CAPITAL POST WINDMILL with patent sails, driving two pairs of Stones and winds herself.
A Stable & Cart lodge adjoining.
For rent & particulars apply to Wm. Bruton Neve, Miller, Besthorpe.
Norfolk News - 3rd & 31st August 1861


TO LET AT DISS
With Immediate Possession if required
A POST WIND MILL driving 2 pairs of French Stones, 4 Patent Sails & winds itself, now in full Trade. Also
AT BESTHORPE
A PUBLIC HOUSE with Bake office & Smock TOWER WIND-MILL driving 2 pairs of French Stones, now in full Trade.
Apply to W.B. Neve, Besthorpe, Attleborough.

Norfolk News - 8th & 22nd March 1862

To Let at Diss.
With Immediate Possession if required
A POST WINDMILL driving two pairs of French Stones, four Patent Sails & winds itself, now in full trade. Rent moderate.
Apply to W. B. Neve, Besthorpe, Attleborough.
Norfolk News - 9th August 1862


Diss Parish Records
POOR RATE 1864
Made 24 November 1864 at 9d. in the pound
No. 90




Occupier
Owner
Windmill, House & Land
0a. 0r. 8p. Victoria Road
Gross Estimated Rental
Rateable Value
Rate at 9d. in the pound
Thomas Lemon
Solomon Lines


£10
£5
3. 9d.

1890 map
O.S. Map 1890 - Diss Victoria Rd towermill west of railway line, Rose Lane composite mill at Malthouses & Sandy Lane postmill top right
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

A mill in Sandy Lane, Diss, driving three pairs of stones, came under the hammer in consequence of a bankruptcy, and sold, together with 15 acres of land, for £700 to Mr. Edward Mann.
The Miller - 3rd March 1902


Diss millers unallocated to mills:

1830: John Weavers
1836: Richard Leathers
1850: Thomas Balding

1854-56: David Wright

1858: John Hadley Cooke
1863: William B. Neave

1864: John Taylor


1818: Mill erected having been bought by John Baldwin and moved some 10 miles from Thelnetham, Suffolk

1826: Bryant's map: Mill

1835: William Ellis, miller

September 1835: Mill advertised for sale by auction

White's 1836: William Ellis, corn miller

Tithe Award 1837: Owner: John Baldwin; Occupier: William Ellis, miller

July 1838: Mill advertised for sale

1839: William Ellis, miller

1857: Joseph Bartrum, miller & undertenant of Mr. Easto

9th May 1857: John Baldwin died aged 72

July 1857: Mill advertised for sale by auction along with a small farm and houses

Conveyance 1857: Mr. Sandy, miller

March 1862: Mill advertised to be let

August 1862: Mill advertised to be let

O.S. map 1886: Windmill (Corn)

1898: Mill cottages built by F. W. Jennings

February 1902: Mill sold at auction and bought by Edward Mann for £700

1902: Mill dismantled


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM13107935

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005

Top of Page