Diss
Chapel Street
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Chapel Street postmill was moved at least twice during it's working life.

Tithe map 1838
Tithe map 1838 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1837
Map 1838
Owners: Henry Warne
Occupier: do

No. 1195 Mill & Building
0a. 1r. 10p.
-----

Two other windmills would appear to have stood within the town boundary, although one of these is of doubtful provenance. This stood at the bottom of Chapel Street, on the site of the present car park. The only map which marks a windmill is the first edition 1837 Ordnance Survey, while the Tithe Award (1840) mentions a mill and building. The miller at that time, Henry Warne, lived further up Mere Street on the right hand side. It is possible that this mill may have been moved to Shelfanger Road.
Diss Antiquarian Society News Sheet - Spring 1973

O.S. 1st edition 1837: Windmill

Tithe Award 1837: Henry Warne, miller

White's 1845: Charles Jay Leathers, corn miller, Mere Street

c.1847: Mill dismantled and moved to Shelfanger Road, Roydon


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM11807916
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005