Dilham staithe
towermill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

c.1907
c.1907

Dilham Staithe towermill was built by Robert Mason c.1836 and was listed as miller in that year. The mill was a 5 storey brick built mill that had a boat shaped cap with a petticoat and a gallery. The four double shuttered sails were striking by rack and pinion.and had 7 bays of 3 shutters with the outermost bay having 1 pair of 2 shutters. In 1836 two pairs of French burr stones and a flour mill were in use but by 1875 these had been increased to three pairs of stones. The brake lever used multiplying gear to increase the mechanical advantage.

 

c.1910
c.1910

Dilham

To be Sold by Auction by GEORGE GAZE on Tuesday 27 August 1839 at 4 o'clock at the Crown Inn, Smallburgh
A TOWER WINDMILL containing five floors recently built of the very best materials, with patent Sails, two pair of French Stones, Flour Mill and Jumper, also a brick and tiled Stable, Granary and Cart Lodge adjoining.
The Estate is Freehold and now in the occupation of Mr. Robert Mason the proprietor, who will give up possession at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Mr. Wilkinson, Solicitor, North Walsham.

Norfolk Chronicle - 17th & 24th August 1839

c.1911 Dilham staithe & windmill
c.1911
Dilham staithe and towermill in 1929

To be Sold by Private Contract or Let, with Possession at Michaelmas next.
A Freehold A TOWER WINDMILL with five floors, recently built of the very best materials & well situated for Trade in Dilham in the county of Norfolk near the Navigation to Yarmouth, with Patent Sails, driving two pair of French Stones, Flour Mill and Jumper. Also a brick and tiled Stable, Granary and Cart lodge with the Mill Yard adjoining, now in the occupation of the proprietor, Mr. Robert Mason.
Apply to Mr. Wilkinson, Solr. North Walsham or to the Proprietor who will shew the premises.

Norfolk Chronicle - 7th & 14th September 1839

Tithe map 1840
Tithe map 1840 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1841
Map, James Wright, Land Surveyor, Aylsham, 1840
Owner: Robert Mason
Occupier: do

No. 188

Mill, Premises & Yard

0a. 1r. 6p.

6s. to Vicar


To be Let With occupation at Michaelmas Old Style.
A Brick TOWER WINDMILL with patent sails, usual self-windong gear, working three pairs of stones at DILHAM & a similar MILL working two pairs of stones, with a double Dwelling House at HEMSBY in this county.
Further particulars of Messrs. Clowes & Son, Solrs. Great Yarmouth.

Norfolk Chronicle - 16th September 1876

(The Bankruptcy Act 1869)
In the matter of Thomas Henry Gray of Dilham, Miller & Merchant,
Notice re Creditors

Norfolk Chronicle - 28th July 1877

Mill and house 15th April 2014
Mill and house 15th April 2014

Mill base 15th April 2014 Mill base 15th April 2014
Mill base 15th April 2014

Henry Ladell worked for Christopher Sadler at Briggate towermill before leaving to work for himself


Tithe map 1840
Tithe map 1840 - as redrawn by Harry Apling


Kelly's of 1929 lists Harry Doighty as a flour dealer but there is no mention of George Doughty or the mill


c.1836: Mill built by Robert Mason

White's 1836: Robert Mason, corn miller

O.S. map 1838: Windmill

Tuesday 27 August 1839: Mill put up for auction but remained unsold

September 1839: Mill advertised for sale by private contract or to be let

Tithe Award 1841: Robert Mason, owner and occupier

White's 1845: Henry Sadler, corn miller

White's 1854: Henry Ladell, corn miller,
Staith Mill

1846-1868: Henry Ladell

Census 1851:

Henry Ladell (31) b.Oulton, miller, employing 2 men
Charlotte Ladell (32) b.North Walsham
William  Ladell (2) b.Dilham
John  Warnes (19) b.Horsford, journeyman miller
Thomas Grey (14) b.Scottow , apprentice to miller

White's 1864: Henry Ladel, corn miller, Staith Mill

1868: Henry Laddell, miller

1872-1878: Thomas Henry Gray, previously at Swanton Abbott towermill

September 1876: Mill advertised to be let

July 1877: Thomas Henry Gray bankrupt

White's 1883: George Doughty, miller

Kelly's 1892: George Doughty, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1896: George Doughty, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1900: George Doughty, miller (wind)

Census 1901:

George Doughty (54) b.Swanton Abbott
May Ann Doughty
Thomas Doughty b.1874;
Harriet Doughty b.1875-1959
Harry Doughty b.1884
Myrtle Doughty b.1887
Nora Doughty b.1898

Kelly's 1904: George Doughty, miller (wind) & assessor and collector of income tax

Kelly's 1908: George Doughty, miller (wind) & assessor and collector of income tax

Kelly's 1912: George Doughty, miller (wind) & assessor and collector of income tax & assistant overseer

Kelly's 1916: George Doughty, miller (wind) & assessor and collector of income tax & assistant overseer

c.1920: Harry Doughty took over running the mill for his father

Kelly's 1922: George Doughty, miller (wind) & assessor and collector of income tax & assistant overseer

Kelly's 1925: George Doughty, miller (wind) & assessor and collector of income tax & assistant overseer

1932: Mill derelict with only two sails without shutters and no fan

c.1935: Harry Doughty demolished mill

Karl Wood painting 1937: Tower only remaining to second floor with no roof

c.1984: Circular fishpond where base of tower stood

2014: Mill base and 3 courses of bricks still visible

2014: David Dawson, mill house


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG33462506
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004