Dersingham
Mill Way
postmill



Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Dersingham Mill Way post mill stood on the northeast side of the village to the west of what later became Sugar Lane. The mill used common sails to drive a single pair of 4ft 10ins French burr stones and a further pair of 4ft French burr stones were operated in a horse mill on the same premises.


To Millers & Millwrights
To be Sold by Auction By Wm. Curle On Wednesday 16 March 1808 on the premises of Mr. Richard Stanton at Dersingham in the county of Norfolk.
The Wreck of the WINDMILL lately blown down consisting of a pair of capital French stones 4 ft. 10 inch with bridging box, & regulators, capital new head wheel 8 ft. 6 inch new geered, flour mill with regulating straps, sail cloths & all the remainder of the wreck belonging thereto.
Horse mill complete, wheel 20 ft. diametetr with fly wheel 6ft. 4 ins. two other wheels one 8ft. 6 ins. the other 6 ft. 4 ins., one large sheave 3 ft. 3 ins., four nutts, new cylinder 5 ft., a pair of French stones 4 ft. with nut, bridging box & regulator, also a large quantity of sacks & some 2½ inch beach plank.
The sale to begin at one o'c.
Norfolk Chronicle - 20th & 27th February & 5th March 1808


Tithe Award 1839
Map by Newton & Woodrow, Norwich
Owner: Richard Lane Stanton
Occupier: Robert Claxton

No. 1181

Mill Way Close

Arable

8a. 2r. 30p.

Pt. of £5. 3. 6


Faden's map 1797: Wind Mill

1808: Richard Stanton, miller

1808: Mill blown over in a gale

February 1808: Wreck of mill advertised for sale by auction



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF69203085
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006