Croxton

(Near Thetford)
towermill



Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Croxton towermill was built and run as a combination of a cornmill and a sawmill.


To be Sold by Auction in the month of May 1842
A Modern & Comfortable Dwelling House with Stables & Outbuildings & Brick Tower Windmill for grinding CORN & Sawing Wood & 5 acres of Land at Croxton, within one mile of the excellent Market Town of Thetford in the county of Norfolk.
Apply to Mr. C. Clarke, Solr. Thetford or Messrs. Bell & Hett, Solrs. Downham Market.
Norfolk Chronicle - 2nd & 9th April 1842


CROXTON
To be Sold by Auction at the Bell Inn, Thetford on Saturday 4 June, 1842 at 6 o'c
A very convenient new built Dwelling House & a Brick Tower Windmill which is constructed for the purpose of Grinding Flour & Sawing Wood at the same time with 5 acres of capital Land within a mile of the excellent town of Thetford.
The whole of the Property is Freehold & situate in the parish of Croxton.
Apply to Mr. Clarke, Solr. Thetford or Messrs. Bell & Hett, Solrs. Downham Market.
Norfolk Chronicle - 28th May 1842



CROXTON, Thetford
Dwelling House, Mill & Land To be Let
A very compact & comfortable Dwelling House with 5a. 0r. 0p. of Capital Land & Stables & other Outbuildings & a Brick Tower Windmill constructed for the purpose of grinding Flour & sawing Wood. The above are situate at Croxton within a mile of the Market Town of Thetford in the County of Norfolk.
Apply to Mr. Clarke, Solr. Thetford or Messrs. Bell & Hett, Solrs. Downham Market.
Norfolk Chronicle - 23rd July 1842


Tithe Award & Map 1846
Owner: Assigns of John Read, Junior
Occupier: William Taylor
No. 118 House, Mill & Land 5 acres. Vicar 5s. Impr. £1. 5. 6


Tithe map 1846
Tithe map 1846 - reproduced by Harry Apling

White's 1836: William Taylor, shopkeeper & wheelwright

April 1842: Mill advertised for sale by auction

May 1842: Mill advertised for sale by auction

July 1842: Mill advertised to be let

White's 1845: William Taylor, shopkeeper, smith & wheelwright

Tithe Award 1846: John Read jnr, owner; William Taylor, occupier

White's 1854: William Taylor, shopkeeper, smith & wheelwright

White's 1864: William Taylor, smith & wheelwright

Kelly's 1879: William Taylor, blacksmith & wheelwright

White's 1883: Walter Taylor, wheelwright & blacksmith

O.S. map 1891: Hill House marked on site of mill shown on 1846 tithe map



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TL87408485
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006