Croxton

(Near Fulmodeston)
towermill



Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Mill working c.1908
Mill working c.1908

Croxton towermill was a five storey mill built of red brick in 1885 to replace the earlier postmill. The Norfolk boat shaped cap had a petticoat, fantail, gallery and two pairs of double shuttered sails each with 8 bays of 3 shutters.


O.S. Map 1891
O.S. Map 1891
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

1927
1927


21st May 1980
21st May 1980

1885: Mill built by William Kemp to replace earlier postmill on same site

1888: Frederick William Kemp, miller

1890: Frederick William Kemp, miller (had moved to Ovington mill by 1892 and Strumpshaw by 1896:)

Kelly's 1892: George Green, miller (wind) Croxton mill

Kelly's 1896: James Tuck, miller (wind) Croxton mill

Kelly's 1900: Henry Tuck, miller (wind) Croxton mill

Kelly's 1904: Louis & Hubert Beane, millers (wind) Croxton mill, Croxton

1908: Louis Beane, miller

Kelly's 1912: Matthew Green, miller (wind) Croxton mill, Croxton

c.1914: Mill ceased to use wind power

Kelly's 1916: Matthew Green, miller (steam) Croxton mill, Croxton

O.S. map 1891:
Croxton Windmill (Corn)

O.S. map 1906: Mill

1926: Mill derelict

1937: Painting by Karl Wood showed mill as a three storey stump with a pointed roof

1980: Three storeys of the truncated tower remain



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF97923135
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004