Corpusty
Black postmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Corpusty Black Mill was one of two windmills and one watermill owned by Samuel Goldsmith. Little is known about the structure apart from the fact that it had a roundhouse. The first known record of a windmill in Corpusty was in a deed dated 1671, where a windmill was referred to as being in Saxthorpe.


1838 Tithe Award Map
1838 Tithe Award Map

Tithe Award 1839
Owner & Occupier Samuel Goldsmith Snr.


No. 1: Water Mill & Premises. Pasture 0a. 1r. 39p.
No. 2: Home Meadow. Pasture 1a. 3r. 32p.
No. 113: Black Mill. Pasture 0a. 1r. 0p.
No. 118 White Mill. Pasture 1a. 0r. 7p.
  3a. 2r. 38p. = 16s.

North of the railway bridge & on the west side of the road to the village were MILL VILLAS built by Samuel Goldsmith for mill workers. A tablet was inscribed S. G. 1898
Harry Apling - 14th July 1972


In the 1970s an elderly resident remembered standing on the remains of the Black Mill's roundhouse in order to watch the first train draw into Saxthorpe & Corpusty station on 5th April 1883.


Saxthorpe & Corpusty

Compact Watermill...two watermills (error for two windmills corrected 18th August)
CLOWES & FLOWERDEW are favoured with instructions to Sell by Auction at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich on Saturday 25th August 1860 at 3 for 4 o'c.

Lot 1. That excellant Watermill, Residence
, Stable, Warehouse, Meadow Land, & Post Windmill all in Corpusty doing a capital home trade.

Lot 2. The White Post Windmill, Warehouse & Arable Land near Lot 1. etc...

8 lots with the exception of about half an acre in Corpusty.)
The above is all Freehold & occupied by Mr. Goldsmith who will give possession at Michaelmas.
Particulars of J.H. Tillett Esq. or at the Auctioneers' offices, Bank Chambers, Norwich

Norfolk Chronicle - 11th, 18th & 25th August 1860 (also in Norfolk News)


O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

There were two other postmills in Corpusty, one known as the White Mill, that lay the the west of the Black Mill and another postmill that lay to the southeast of the village near the river. All three appeared on Bryant's map of 1826.


Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

White's 1836: Samuel Goldsmith, miller

White's 1845: Samuel Goldsmith, miller. Samuel owned Corpusty watermill and two of the windmills in Corpusty - the White Mill and the Black Mill

9th January 1851: Samuel Goldsmith died

White's 1851: Samuel Goldsmith jnr (16 years old)

The 1851 census lists the miller as being Henry A. Massingham (38), who was a master miller employing 2 men and two boys. One of those boys was his nephew Samuel Goldsmith, who at the age of 16 in the 1851 census was already described as a miller. Samuel was living with his uncle in Corpusty. Robert Richmond was also working there with his son John, who was 12 years old but by 1861 Robert Richmond had moved to Briningham postmill.

1860: Samuel Goldsmith - Insolvent Deed of Assignment

Saturday 25th August 1860: Black mill sold along with Corpusty watermill and the White postmill

Harrod's 1863: William Bruce, miller

Kelly's 1865: William Bruce

Harrod's 1872: William Bruce, miller

Kelly's 1875: Samuel Goldsmith, miller

1875: Black Mill gone


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG11253015
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004