Burgh St Peter towermill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

1949

Mill and mill house 1949


Burgh St Peter towermill was a five storey mill built c.1825 in red brick and was probably built to supplement the nearby Wheatacre_postmill that was also worked by James Sayer. In the early 1800s Burgh St. Peter was also known as Wheatacre Burgh.


In 1839 it was advertised as being nearly new and was equipped with patent sails on an iron windshaft with stones and a flour mill. A steam auxiliary engine had been installed by 1872 and the mill was mainly producing grist rather than flour using 3 pairs of underdriven stones on the 2nd floor. An additional 2 pairs of 4ft 6ins French burr stones were added in 1906. The mill had 4 double shuttered sails, each with 10 bays of 3 shutters, a boat shaped cap with a gallery and 6 bladed fan with a chain pole.


WHEATACRE BURGH
TOWER & POST WINDMILLS Land & Cottages at WHEATACRE BURGH
To be Sold by Auction at the White Lion Inn, Beccles on Friday 26 April instant at 4 o’c (Unless previously disposed of by Private Contract of which Notice will be given)
Lot 1. All that substantial Freehold Brick TOWER WINDMILL, nearly new, with Patent Sails, Winding Tackle, Iron Shaft, Flour Mills, Stones & Jumpers complete, together with half an Acre of land attached thereto. Early possession may be had of this lot.
Lot 2. All that POST WINDMILL
Lot 3. All those Freehold Tenements or Cottages, Stable, Piggeries & other Buildings together with 2 Acres of Arable Land in the Occupation of Mr. James Sayer & Robert Moore.
Lot One will be Sold with the Trade attached to both Mills, as Mr. Sayer is withdrawing from the business.
Apply to Mr. James Sayer or to Mr. Barnard, Conveyancer, Lowestoft.
Norfolk Chronicle - 13th & 20th April 1839


To Millers
WHEATACRE BURGH Mills. Between Beccles & Lowestoft.
To be Sold by Private Contract. Together or separately.
All those Tower & Post_WINDMILLS, Cottages & Two acres & a half of Land in the occupation of Mr. James SAYER, with every convenience for the Trade. This is an established situation - both Mills stand upon remarkably high ground in a fine Corn District & very near the Navigation from Beccles to Lowestoft & possession may be had immediately.
Apply to Mr. BARNARD, Conveyancer, Lowestoft.
Norfolk Chronicle - 18th May 1839


Watercolour by Karl Wood in 1937
Watercolour by Karl Wood in 1937

Situations Vacant
TO MILLERS
Wanted immediately, in a Country Mill, a Young Man who has been accustomed to Steam Power and the Grist Trade. None need apply who cannot have a good character from his last employer.
Apply to Mr. G. HAMMOND, Burgh St. Peter near Beccles, Suffolk.
Norfolk News - 20th July 1872


Burgh St. Peter
About One Mile from Aldeby Station
Messrs. SPELMAN have received instructions from Mr. George HAMMOND who is retiring from business to Sell by Auction early in June next with possession at Michaelmas the well standing WIND FLOUR MILL with Steam Power attached driving four pairs of Stones, Dwelling House, Shop, Barn, Sheds & Piggeries with Garden containing about 1 acre.
Particulars of Mr. T.M. BAKER, Solr. Great Yarmouth or of the Auctioneers, Norwich & Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 2nd May 1874


Burgh St. Peter
1½ miles from Aldeby Station, 1½ miles from the Burgh Staithe & 4½ miles from Beccles.
Messrs. SPELMAN have received instructions from Mr. George HAMMOND who is retiring from the business to Sell by Auction on Saturday 13 June 1874 at 2 for 3 o’c at the Rampant Horse Hotel, Norwich the well built Brick Tower WIND FLOUR MILL. In substantial & good working order, has 5 floors, drives 3 pairs of Stones, with Dwelling house, Stables, Gig house, Cart shed & roomy Barn attached
Also 2 Cottages adjoining.
Particulars of Mr. T. M. Baker, Solr. Great Yarmouth or of the Auctioneers, Norwich & Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 9th & 25th May 1874


Burgh St. Peter. One mile from Aldeby Station.
Messrs. Spelman have received instructions from Mr. George HAMMOND who is retiring from business, to sell by auction, early in June next, with possession at Michaelmas, the well standing WIND FLOUR MILL with steam power attached driving four pairs of stones, dwelling house, shop, barn, sheds & piggeries, with garden, containing about one acre.
Yarmouth Independent - 2nd May 1874


Well built brick freehold Tower wind flour mill in substantial & good working order, has 5 floors, driving 3 pairs of stones, with dwelling house, stables, gig house, cart shed & roomy barn attached, also two cottages adjoining.
Burgh St. Peter. Geo. Hammond.
Yarmouth Independent - 9th May 1874


Burgh St. Peter near Beccles
Messrs. SPELMAN have received instructions from Mr. George HAMMOND who is retiring from the business, to Sell by Auction on Saturday June 13, 1874 at 2 for 3 o’c in the Afternoon at the Rampant Horse Hotel, Norwich
Lot 1. The well built FREEHOLD Brick Tower
WIND FLOUR MILL
In good working order, with DWELLING HOUSE adjoining, Garden & Outbuildings with Immediate Possession.
The mill stands in a good Corn district & commands a fine retail & bag trade.
Norfolk News - 30th May & 8th June 1874


To be Sold by Private Contract
The well built Freehold WIND FLOUR MILL situate in the Parish of Burgh St. Peter, 1¼ Miles from Aldeby Station, 1½ Miles from Burgh Staithe & 4½ Miles from Beccles.
The Mill is in substantial repair & good working order, has five floors, drives three pair of Stones. Slate & Brick Stable, Gig house, Cart shed, Brick & Tiled Barn & Slate Building adjoining the Mill for Portable Engine. The Dwelling house has a garden in front & contains …
The Engine & usual Mill Fixtures will have to be paid for by the purchaser at a valuation in the usual way.
Immediate possession will be given if required.
Also two Freehold Cottages adjoining the Mill.
The Attention of Millers is called to this property. The Mill stands in a good Corn District & commands a fine retail & bag trade. An energetic man taking the premises would undoubtedly ensure a first class business.
Apply to Mr. T.M. Baker, Solr. Great Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle - 4th, 11th & 16th March 1876


4th August 1975
4th August 1975

O.S. Map 1889 - 1890
O.S. Map 1889 - 1890
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

The above map also shows the older Wheatacre postmill to the west of the towermill.


October 1989 October 1999
October 1989
October 1999

Mr. George Jeffries, in his straw boater and wearing no gloves even in winter, was once a familiar sight driving his miller's cart around The Triangle and neighbouring parishes. To tether his horse when he made calls, he placed iron rings in trees. Some of these can still be seen, one in the tree at the end of the drive to Mill House, Wheatacre, one in an elm opposite the entrance to Wheatacre Church, where he was churchwarden and one in the oak tree on the opposite side of the road to the pit down Common Road, Aldeby. Mill stones from Burgh Mill, removed when it went out of use, can now be seen used as doorsteps by the roadside at Priory Farm, Aldeby.
Edward William Platten - c.1955


13th March 2009
13th March 2009

White's 1845: William Sayer, farmer


1839: James Sayer & Robert Moore

April 1939: Mill advertised for sale by auction along with Wheatacre postmill

1846: George Hammond, miller

Census 1851: David Stubbs, journeyman miller. Address: 28 Chapel Street

White's 1854: George Hammond, corn miller

White's 1864: George Hammond, miller & farmer

1874: George Hammond, miller

May 1874: Mill advertised for sale by auction due to the retirement of George Hammond

March 1876: Mill advertised for sale

Kelly's 1879: Jeffries & Clarke, millers

White's 1883: George Jeffries & Henry Clarke, millers and merchants

White's 1890: Jeffries & Clarke, millers and merchants and farmers and landowners

Kelly's 1892: Jeffries & Clarke, millers (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1896: Jeffries & Clarke, millers (wind & steam) & farmers, landowners, merchants & tithe collectors

Kelly's 1900: Jeffries & Clarke, millers (wind & steam) & farmers

Kelly's 1904: Jeffries & Clarke, millers (wind & steam) & farmers

1906: Additional 2 pairs of 4ft 6ins French burr stones added for producing flour

Kelly's 1908: Jeffries & Clarke, millers (wind & steam) & farmers

c.1911: Mill ceased to grind corn for flour and continued to produce animal feed

Kelly's 1912: Jeffries & Clarke, millers (wind & steam) & farmers

Kelly's 1916: Jeffries & Clarke, millers (wind & steam) & farmers

Kelly's 1922: Jeffries & Clarke, millers (wind) & farmers

Kelly's 1925: Jeffries & Clarke, millers (wind) & farmers

1926: Eastern Daily Press photo showing mill in working order

c.1928: Mill ceased working after two sails were blown off in one afternoon

Kelly's 1929: Jeffries & Clarke, millers (wind) & farmers

c.1933: Mill ceased working and was then used as storehouse

Painting 1937: Mill with two sails, no shutters and 3 remaining vanes in the fantail

The Journal 6th September 1947: Photo of mill with two sails, no shutters and 3 remaining vanes in the fantail

1949: Mill with one pair of sails

1955: Two remaining sails and top of tower removed


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM46729345
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005