Burgh St Margaret Mill Lane
towermill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

c.1909
c.1909

Burgh St Margaret tower mill and it's buildings stood beside the Post Office in Mill Lane in what is now known ad Fleggburgh. The 5 storey mill had a Norfolk boat shaped cap with a gallery and a 6 bladed fan. Power came via 4 double shuttered sails, one pair having 8 bays of 3 shutters and the other pair having 8 bays of 3 shutters on the outer side and 4 pairs on the inner side. The sails were struck using a chain pole.


c.1910 c.1910
c.1910

TOWER WINDMILL To be Sold by Private Contract
All that capital Freehold new brick built TOWER WINDMILL together with two new built Cottages & about 39 perches of Land situate in the parish of Burgh St. Margaret in the county of Norfolk, now in the occupation of George Starling.
The above Premises are in excellent repair & possession may be had immediately.
Further particulars on application to Messrs. Sayers & Son, Solrs. Great Yarmouth.

Norfolk Chronicle - 3rd & 10th June 1826

TOWER WINDMILL By John Thurtle On Saturday 22 July 1826
At the Kings Arms Inn, Great Yarmouth at 2 o’c
All that capital new brick TOWER WINDMILL together with two Cottages & about 39 perches of Land situate in the parish of Burgh St. Margaret in the county of Norfolk, in the occupation of George Starling.
The above Premises are in excellent repair & possession may be had immediately or at Michaelmas next.
Particulars on application at the office of Messrs. Sayers & Son, Solrs. Great Yarmouth or to the Auctioneer, Regent Street, Great Yarmouth.

Norfolk Chronicle - 1st, 8th & 15th July 1826

Tithe Award map 1839
Tithe Award map 1839 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

TITHE AWARD 1841
Map. T.F. Brown & Josh. Manning, Surveyors, Norwich. 1839.
Owner: George Starling
Occupier: Joshua Rushmere

No. 200a House, mill etc. Pasture
0a. 1r. 1p.
2/-

TITHE AWARD 1841
Altered Apportionment 1902
(?)
Owner: Rt. Rev. G. C. Fisher
Occupiers: Edward Mayhew & Laxon Alfred Mayhew

No. 102b Windmill, shop, cottage & garden
Arable
0a. 1r. 0p.
2/-

Mrs. I. M. Clegg of Brentwood, Essex, wrote to Harry Apling on 8th February 1973 to say that her grandfather Robert Butler was born in 1837, to George & Maria Butler. George Butler was then miller at Repps_postmill but by 1845, Maria was alone and the miller at Burgh St. Margaret postmill.


Mill to Let
Situated at FLEGGBURGH near Filby, driving two pairs of stones etc. with Dwelling house and Premises. Immediate possession may be had if required. For Rent and particulars inquire on the Premises or of Mr. E. Martin, 32 Southtown, Yarmouth.

Norfolk News - 4th May 1861

Burgh St. Margaret near Great Yarmouth
Freehold Tower Wind Mill & Cottage
Samuel Aldred will sell by Auction at the White Horse Inn, Great Yarmouth on Wednesday October 28, 1880
Lot 1.
Capital Freehold brick tower windmill with dwelling house, yard, stable & outbuildings all in Burgh St. Margaret, let to Mr. B. Starling at £20 per annum.
Lot 2.
Adjoining dwelling house, shop, & yard let to Mrs. Laxon at £10 per annum.
Particulars of the Auctioneer.

Yarmouth Independent - 9th October 1880

Burgh St. Margaret, near Great Yarmouth
Freehold Tower Windmill & Cottages
Samuel Aldred will Sell by Auction at the White Horse Inn, Great Yarmouth on Wednesday October 27, 1880 at 3 for 4 o’c
Lot 1. A capital Brick Tower WINDMILL with Dwelling house & Yard Stables & Outbuildings attached, in Burgh St. Margaret, let to Mr. B. Starling at £20 per annum.
Lot 2. Adjoining DWELLING HOUSE, shop & Yard let to Mrs. Laxon at £10 per annum.
Lot 3. Two semi-detached Freehold COTTAGES with Garden attached & adjoining the last Lot, let to Mr. R. Took & Mr. B. Starling.
Lot 4. Freehold COTTAGE & GARDEN adjoining, let to Mr. Thomas Took.

Particulars of the Auctioneer, Great Yarmouth.
Norfolk Chronicle - 9th, 16th & 23rd October 1880

Burgh St. Margaret Mill Lane
Sale of effects of Mr. B. Starling, leaving neighbourhood.

Yarmouth Independent - 24th September 1881

For Sale at BURGH ST. MARGARET
A freehold Wind Flour Mill & Dwelling house; also a grocer's shop & dwelling house.
Apply to Mr. William Green, Burgh St. Margaret.
Yarmouth Independent - 5th May 1888



O.S. Map 1890 - 1892
O.S. Map 1890 - 1892
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

The above map also shows Old Burgh Mill to the northwest of the towermill referred to on this page.


A Norfolk Archaeology manuscript recorded that James Laws, R. Mayhew were also millers.


Bryant's map 1826

1826: George Starling, miller

June 1826: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

White's 1836: Joshua Rushmer, corn miller

Tithe Award 1841: George Starling, owner; Joshua Rushmere, occupier

White's 1845: Maria Butler, corn miller

White's 1854: William Beverley, corn miller

May 1861: Mill advertised to be let

1853: William Beverley, miller

White's 1864: William Beverley, corn miller

Kelly's 1879: Edgar Starling, miller

1880: B. Starling, tenant miller at a rent of £20 per annum

October 1880: Mill advertised for sale by auction

September 1881: Sale of the effects of B. Starling advertised due to his leaving the neighbourhood

White's 1883: Robert Mayhew, corn miller

c.1890: Steam auxiliary power added

Kelly's 1892: Edward Mayhew, miller (wind & steam) & grocer

Kelly's 1896: Edward Mayhew, miller (wind & steam) & grocer

Kelly's 1900: Edward Mayhew, miller (wind & steam) & grocer & assistant overseer

Kelly's 1904: Edward Mayhew, miller (wind & steam) & grocer

Kelly's 1912: Edward Mayhew, miller & grocer

Kelly's 1916: Edward Mayhew, miller & grocer

Kelly's 1922: Walter Laxon, miller (steam & water)
(setting error JJN)

1924: Mill ceased working and then partly dismantled

c.1940: Mill demolished


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG44361427
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006