Bunwell
smockmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Bunwell smockmill stood at Great Green in a meadow just to the south of the mill house. The tower was 8 sided and had a boat shaped cap. The base walls were 18ins thick with an internal diameter of 12ft 6ins.

BUNWELL
TO LET a Dwelling house, Outbuildings, Windmill & about 6 acres of good Land.
Apply to Mr. Henry Austin, Bunwell or to Mr. James Feltham, Solr. Hingham
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 4th July & 25th July 1874


BUNWELL near Attleborough
Mr. Charles Feltham has received instructions to Sell by Auction at the Adam & Eve Inn, Carleton Rode, on Thursday 19 September 1874 at 3 for 4 o'c.
All that Messuage or Dwelling house in Bunwell, Norfolk, with the Tower Windmill, Barn, Stable, Cow house & other Outbuildings, Yards, Garden & Inclosure of very superior ARABLE & PASTURE LAND thereto belonging & adjoining & containing about 6 acres, now in the occupation of Mr. Henry Austin the Proprietor. All Freehold.
Apply to Mr. H. A. Miller, Bunwell near Attleborough, to Mr. James Feltham, Solr. Hingham or to the Auctioneers, North Walsham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 29th August & 5th September 1874


... at Bunwell St. is a finely-proportioned tower, with a typical Norfolk boat-top.
In Search of English Windmills - Hopkins & Freese - 1931


The mill house was later known as The Cottage.

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

1836: James Ringer, miller

White's 1836: William Austin, corn miller

White's 1845: William Austin, corn miller

White's 1854: Henry Austin, corn miller

1856: William Austin, miller

1858: William Austin, miller

1863: William Austin, miller

White's 1864: Henry Austin, corn miller

1865: Henry Austin, miller

1868: William Austin, miller

1872: Henry Austin, miller

1874: Henry Austin, miller

July 1874: Mill advertised to be let

August 1874: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1875: James William Goldsmith, miller

1878: Charles Francis, miller

O.S. map 1884: Windmill

1888: Charles Burroughes, miller

1971: Mrs. Bryan Jones, The Cottage

February - March 1971: Remaining walls pulled down


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM12009380
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006