Blofield Heath towermill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

c.1925
c.1925

Blofield Heath towermill was built c.1833 as a 5 storey replacement for Blofield Heath smockmill. The mill had four double shuttered sails, one pair with 8 bays of 3 shutters and one pair with 7 pairs of 3 shutters that were struck by rack and pinion. The boat shaped cap held a six bladed fan. The tower had two ground level doors and one on the first floor for loading purposes. An auxiliary steam engine had been installed by 1888 and was later replaced by a paraffin engine driving into the mill.


At one point the sails were shortened as a child had been killed by the original longer ones.


Blofield. To be Sold by Auction at the latter end of the Present month or beginning of the next. Unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract. A Capital Tower Wind Mill, built within the last five years, in perfect repair and situate so as to command an extensive business in Blofield and adjoining parishes, late in the occupation of the Proprietor, Mr. W. A. Lubbock, deceased.
For particulars apply to Mr. West, Sol'r., Norwich, or to Mr. William Stockings, Carpenter, Blofield.

Norfolk Chronicle - 9th June 1838


To be Sold by Auction on 9 July next at the Kings Head Inn, Blofield.
A capital Brick Tower Windmill at Blofield, in the county of Norfolk, built within the last five years, late in the occupation of Mr. W. A. Lubbock, the Proprietor, deceased.
Possession of the Mill may be had immediately and of the Dwelling House at Michaelmas next.

Norfolk Chronicle - 30th June 1838


Blofield Mill
To be Sold by Auction by Mr. Culley on Monday 9 July next at 5 o’c at the Kings Head Inn, Blofield
A Capital Brick TOWER WINDMILL at Blofield in the county of Norfolk built within the last five years, with a Dwelling house, suitable outbuildings & a small garden attached, containing altogether about a quarter of an acre of land, all Freehold.
The Premises are in an excellent state of repair & are situate so as to command an extensive business in Blofield & the adjoining parishes & was late in the occupation of Mr. W. J. Lubbock, the Proprietor, deceased.
Possess of the Mill may be had immediately & of the Dwelling house at Michaelmas next or sooner if desired. Part of the Purchase Money may remain on Mortgage if required.
Apply to Mr. C. J. West, Solr., to the Auctioneer, Norwich or to Mr. William Stockings, Carpenter, Blofield

Norfolk Chronicle - 30th June & 7th July 1838


Tithe Award 1845
Owner: - Rogers
Occupier: Herself
No. 169 House, garden & mill. 0a. 1r. 6p. £1.1\-


O.S. Map 1889
O.S. Map 1889
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

BLOFIELD
The late Mr. W. B. Rogers. On Monday the funeral took place at the churchyard of William Benjamin Rogers, an old and respected inhabitant. Deceased had carrie don business as a miller & merchant.

Dereham & Fakenham Times - 2nd December 1916


A painting by Karl Wood dated 11th September 1937 shows half of the ground floor wall and beams emerging from a heap of bricks.


Ernest Arthur Rogers had a daughter, Miss Eileen May Rogers who was born in 1912 and in 1981 she was living in Brundall. Ernest Rogers' brother William Rogers travelled the country taking photographs of mills and accumulated a collection of 88 photographs, later to be in the care of his niece Eileen Rogers. William Rogers moved from Blofield to Dereham and was chauffeured on his travels by F. G. Hall, also of Dereham.


c.1833: Mill built

White's 1836: Woolterton John Lubbock, miller

Index of wills 1838: Woolterton John Lubbock, miller

June 1838: Mill advertised for sale by auction

Census 1841: William Rogers (35) miller
Sarah Rogers (40)
Francis Rogers (14)
Elizabeth Rogers (9)
William Rogetrs (3)
William Thompson (20) journeyman miller

White's 1845: Mrs. Sarah Rogers, corn miller

Tithe award 1845: Mrs. Sarah Rogers, miller

White's 1858: Sarah Rogers, corn miller

White's 1864: Francis Rogers, corn miller & shopkeeper

Kelly's 1879: Francis Rogers, miller & shopkeeper

White's 1883: Francis Rogers, corn-miller
William Rogers, corn-miller

O.S. Map 1887: Windmill (Corn)

1888: William Benjamin Rogers, miller (wind & steam) & shopkeeper

Kelly's 1892: William Rogers, miller (wind & steam) & shopkeeper, Post Office, Mill Road

Kelly's 1896: William Rogers, miller (wind & steam) & shopkeeper, Mill Road

Kelly's 1900: William Rogers, miller (wind & steam) & shopkeeper, Mill Road

Kelly's 1904: William Rogers, miller (wind) & shopkeeper, Mill Road

Kelly's 1916: William Rogers, miller (wind) & shopkeeper, Mill Road

22nd November 1916: William Benjamin Rogers, miller, died aged 78

Kelly's 1922: Ernest Arthur Rogers, miller (wind) Mill Road

Kelly's 1925: Ernest Arthur Rogers, miller (wind) Mill Road

c.1925: Structure intact except sails and fan missing

Kelly's 1929: Ernest Arthur Rogers, miller (wind) Mill Road

Kelly's 1933: Ernest Arthur Rogers, miller (wind) Mill Road

26th October 1937: Mill demolished and last brick removed by James Scurrel

Kelly's 1939: Ernest Arthur Rogers, butcher, Mill Road

1949: Stump of tower only remaining

1971: Mill site a Mace shop, just past Mill Close. Rogers family still living nearby


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG33271145
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006