Blo' Norton postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Blo' Norton mill was an open trestle postmill that stood on a mound in Fen Road.


Fordham's mill blew down in 1807
Fordham's mill at Norton raised in August 1816
Fordham's mill at Norton removed into the Fen in September 1821

Diary of Thomas King of Thelnetham - 1804-38


Thomas Fordham owned and ran the old postmill just outside the village. Despite losing their house to a fire, the Fordham family continued to run the mill until August 1879. It was then that a huge storm swept down the Wensum valley damaging several mills. Although badly damaged, the mill was afterwards ... believed to be owned by a man named Goodchild who lived in a neighbouring village, and only came when the wind blew. It appeared that Goodchild was only doing a small grist trade at the time.
Diary of Thomas King of Thelnetham - 1804-38


1807: Mill blown down

August 1816: Mill rebuilt

1821: Mill moved into the Fen

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

1833: Fordham's house burnt down

1846: George Fordham, miller
1846: Robert Fordham, miller & farmer

Kelly's 1854: Robert Fordham, miller & farmer

1864: Robert Fordham, corn miller

Kelly's 1879: Robert Fordham, miller

Sunday August 1879: Mill badly damaged in a gale that swept down the Wensum vally

1883: Edward Goodchild, miller (Market Weston, Suffolk)

O.S. map 1885: Mill mound

1890: Mill dismantled



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM01537910
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006