Billingford
(Nr North Elmham)
postmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

c.1890
c.1890

Billingford postmill buck was set on a roundhouse. The 6 bladed flywheel was set on the ladder leading to a small porch with a rounded canopy. Four double shuttered sails powered 2 pairs of stones.

Tithe Award 1839
Map Pratt & Son, Norwich 1837
Owner: George Freeman
Occupiers: Himself and Thomas Whiteman
No. 126 House, Mill and Ground. Pasture 2a. 1r. 10p. - 12s.

Billingford
To be Sold by Auction by J. H. Greenacre at the Bell Inn in Billingford on Wednesday 14 July 1852 at 5 o’c
Lot 1. A Capital POST WINDMILL with roundhouse in excellent repair driving two pair of stones. Also a substantially built Dwelling House with convenient Outbuildings, walled in yard (in which is a good lead pump) & Garden adjoining together with a large substantial Building containing a Flour Dressing Mill, horse power, with Corn Chambers & a Cottage & Stable adjoining.
Also three pieces of excellent Arable & Grass Land containing in the whole 5a. 0r. 30p. the above are in the occupation of Mr. William Long & possession may be had at Old Michaelmas next. Of this Lot the Windmill & 1a. 3r. 0p. of Land are Copyhold of the Manor of Billingford Waffins, fine arbitrary & the residence is Freehold.
Particulars of Messrs. Cooper & Sons, Solrs. or of the Auctioneer, East Dereham.

Norfolk Chronicle - 10th July 1852

BILLINGFORD
To be Sold by Private Contract

as per advert July 1852
Particulars of Messrs. Cooper & Sons, Solrs. East Dereham
Norfolk Chronicle - 18th September 1852


Peremptory Sale
Post Wind mill at Billingford.
To be sold by Auction by Robt. Ansell at Kings Arms Hotel, East Dereham, Wednesday 11 April 1855 at 4 o’c.
A Good Post WINDMILL driving two pairs of stones, with brick Roundhouse, a convenient Dwelling House with outbuildings, walled-in yard, Pump of excellent water, small productive Garden, A substantial Building containing a horse power Flour dressing mill, Corn Chamber, Cottage & Stable. Three pieces of excellent arable & grass land containing in the whole 5a.0r.3p. more or less; situate at Billingford & now in the occupation of Mr. Wm. Long.
Possession may be had 11 October next.

Apply to COOPER & SONS, Solrs. East Dereham & Robt. Ansell, Fakenham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 31st March & 7th April 1855

On 28th August 1971, Archie Bales, who lived in the White House opposite thje church, wrote that he believed that the mill stood on his property although nothing remained. He believed that bthe cottages facing the church were originally built as a granary for the mill by Robert Norton who was the miller at North Elmham watermill c.1830-c.1864.

On the Billingford post mill details, under the Census 1851 there is a Robert Robinson (15) b.Shipdham, groom.  I believe that Robert is my great grandfather. 
He enlisted in the Royal Scots in Shipdham in 1854 and served in the Crimean War at Sebastopol, then served in India (got married there) and China before settling in Scotland in about 1875.
He had eleven kids, ten born in army barrack a few mile south of Edinburgh and died in Penicuik, Midlothian in 1904.

Peter Hawkins - 8th July 2008


Faden's map 1797: Mill

Bryant's map 1826: Mill

White's 1836: George Freeman, corn miller & farmer

Tithe Award 1839: Owner George Freeman; Occupiers: George Freeman & Thomas Whiteman

Census 1841: John Middleton (40) miller
John N. Middleton (12)

Census 1841: William Wilson (30) journeyman miller

White's 1845: William Long, corn miller

Census 1851:

William Long (30) b.North Creake, master miller employing 1 man
Mary Long (32) b.Cirencester, Glos.
Charles Long b.Billingford, scholar
William Long (4) b.Billingford
Alice Long (1) b.Billingford
Robert Robinson (15) b.Shipdham, groom
Address: Mill House

1852: William Long, miller

July 1852: Mill advertised for sale by auction

September 1852: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

White's 1854: James Pipes, corn miller

1855: William Long, miller

March 1855: Mill advertised for sale by auction

Census 1861: George Hurry (22) b.Billingford (son of an ag lab living at home) miller

1895: Mill destroyed in a gale


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG01402050
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004