Besthorpe
Mill Lane
postmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Besthorpe post mill, also known as Black Car mill, stood in Mill Lane and had a clay lump roundhouse and ran 2 pairs of French burr stones and a flour mill. In 1862 the mill was recorded as only having 2 sails. Besthorpe towermill was later built adjacent to the postmill on the same site but it may well have been that on occasions, each mill was run by a different miller. The postmill probably ceased working in the 1860s and was replaced by a steam mill that was built close by.


TITHE AWARD 1847
Map 1846
Owner: Robert Palmer
Occupier: David Palmer

No. 379 House, Mill & Yard 0a. 1r. 3p. Pasture 1s. 3d.

Tithe map 1846
Tithe map 1846 - redrawn by Harry Apling

Windmill & Beerhouse

Friday September 12 at 5 o’c at King’s Head Inn, Wymondham.

By order of the Executors of Thomas Reynolds, decd.

The following Freehold Property situate at Besthorpe within a mile of Spooner Row Station comprising a WINDMILL driving two pairs of stones, flour mill, two new sails & shaft & standing well for trade. A BEERHOUSE known as the sign of the Windmill containing two lower & three upper rooms, wash house, cellar, also Stable, Gig house, Nine-pin Ground, Garden etc.

The above property adjoins the road from Wymondham to New Buckenham & is in the occupation of Michael Kett at the annual rent of £20.

Apply to Foster & Co. & Mr. S. H. Asker, Solrs. Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 6th September 1856



THE GAZETTE

Bankrupts Friday April 3rd
William Bruton Neave, Besathorpe, miller. April 13th

Norfolk News - 11th April 1863


Bankruptcies

Re William Bruton Neve

The Bankrupt, formerly a publican of Besthorpe had been committed to Norwich Castle on the 19th of January last & was released by the Registrar (Mr. T.H. Palmer) on the 13th of March at his monthly visitation. The registrar certified that Neve had not been able to petition the Court of Bankruptcy “by reason of poverty” & he was therefore transferred to this district as a bankrupt “in formae pauperis”. As no statement, however was filed, the matter was ordered to stand over till next court. Mr. Atkinson, Norwich, Attorney.

Norfolk News - 13th June 1863


To Millers & Bakers
TO LET
A WINDMILL with BAKE OFFICE & BEER HOUSE, with a good Trade.
Possession immediately.
Apply on the Premises, Besthorpe near Wymondham.
Norfolk News - 12th October 1867


In May 1974, Philip Unwin noted that Robert Martin, a Beccles millwright, remembered the roundhouse and confirmed that it was built of clay lump..


1830: Robert Palmer, miller

1830: Robert Palmer, miller

Whites 1845: David Palmer, miller

Tithe Award 1847: Owner: Robert Palmer; Occupier: David Palmer

Census 1851: David Palmer (46) b.Burston, master miller & beer house keeper
Lydia Palmer (46) b.Old Buckenham
Elizabeth Palmer (15) b.Besthorpe
Rachel Palmer (12) b.Besthorpe
Rebecca Palmer (9) b.Besthorpe
Susanna  Palmer (7) b.Besthorpe
Address: The Carr

Whites 1854: David Palmer, corn miller

1856: Thomas Reynolds, owner, died

1856: David Palmer, corn miller & beer retailer
1856: Michael Kett, corn miller & beer retailer, renting mill at £20 per annum

1858: Michael Kett, corn miller & beer retailer

1862: William Bruton Neave, miller

1863: William Bruton Neave, miller, bankrupt
1863: Samuel Reynolds, miller & beer retailer

October 1867: Mill advertised to be let

1868: Richardson Baker, miller & beerhouse

O.S. map 1884: Besthorpe Mills (Corn)

1898: Roundhouse still in use as a warehouse - see advert for the sale of Besthorpe towermill

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM05989602
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006