Barwick
postmill


Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Bale post mill does not appear in White's directory of 1836 or 1854 and very little is known of it. It is quite feasible that the mill was dismantled after being sold in 1845 and moved to a different location.


BUCKENHAM PRIORY MANOR
... Hugh de Albini, Earl of Arundel, gave to this house a messuage and a windmill ...
Blomefield Vol. X, Hundred of Smithdon


Little Barwick mill "translated" to Docking in 1698. What is probably - or possibly - a mill mound is visible in the grounds of Barwick House today. The village has long gone.
Mrs. Gillian Beckett - 1st November 1986


The possible mill mound at Barwick is TF805357. It is just south of the present Barwick House within the area of a lost medieval hamlet of Middleton.
Mrs. Gillian Beckett - 25th November 1986


1243: Hugh de Albini gave the mill to Buckenham Priory Manor

1243: Hugh de Albini
died (see Snettisham mill 1285)

Stanhoe Court Records January 1263: Simon le Miller

1698: Mill translated to Docking


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG80523574
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006