Barnham Broom
towermill


Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills


c.1924
Towermill and watermill c.1924

Barnham Broom towermill was built by millwright George Shafto in 1818 and was worked in conjunction with the adjacent Barnham Broom watermill some 30 yards to the west. The mill ran 2 pairs of stones. The base of the tower had a diameter of 22ft 6ins.


The watermill was probably also worked in conjunction with a postmill that lay a short way to the east as the Tithe Award of 1847 showed that the land surrounding the postmill was owned by Robert Atkins who also owned and ran the watermill and the land had probably been in the family for some time. It is also likely that the postmill ceased to work some time after the towermill was built adjacent to the watermill..


c.1925
c.1925

TO MILLERS

At the beginning of October (Unless disposed of by Private Contract)
The valuable FREEHOLD MILLS at Barnham Broom, Norfolk, consisting of an excellent water mill & windmill, with flour mills, machinery & going gears complete, now in full trade. Also a good substantial built Dwelling house lately titted up, with a well planted garden & 4 acres of excellent meadow land adjoining & a chaise house, granaries, stable, waggon lodge, piggeries & other suitable Buildings. The Machinery in the Mills are recently built & the Mills are capable of manufacturing at least 7 lasts of corn per week. Barnham Broom is situate in a fine corn country, 4 miles from Wymondham, 7 from Dereham & only 9 from Norwich, all good corn markets.
Possession may be had at Michaelmas next & a moity of the purchase money (if required) may remain upon mortgage for a term of years. Apply to Mr. John Stedman, the proprietor, at Barnham Broom Mills near Wymondham. Mr. George Shafto, Millwright, St. Martins at Oak, Norwich, or Mr. S. GILMAN, Solr. Hingham.
Norfolk Chronicle 12th & 19th September 1818

18th May 1980
18th May 1980

To be SOLD by AUCTION,
By Mr. CULLEY,

On Saturday, 31st October, at 4 o'clock, At the White Swan Inn, Norwich. (Unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract)
The valuable FREEHOLD MILLS at Barnham Broom, Norfolk, consisting of an excellent watermill and windmill, with flour mills, machinery and going gears complete, now in full trade. Also a good substantial built Dwelling-house lately fitted up, with a well planted garden and 4 acres of excellent meadow land adjoining, and a chaise house, granaries, stable, waggon lodge, piggeries and other suitable Buildings. The Machinery in the Mills are recently built and the Mills are capable of manufacturing 7 lasts of corn per week.
Barnham Broom is situate in a fine corn country, 4 miles form Wymondham, 7 from Dereham and only 9 from Norwich, all good corn markets.
The Land Tax is 24s. per annum and there is no other annual out going whatsoever.
Possession may be had at Michaelmas next and a moiety of the purchase money (if required) may remain upon Mortgage for a term of years.
Apply to Mr. John Steadman, the Proprietor, at Barnham Broom Mills, near Wymondham, Mr. George Shafto, Millwright, St. Martin's at Oak, Norwich, or Mr. S. Gilman, Solicitor, Hingham.

Norfolk Chronicle - 10th, 17th & 24th October 1818.

Tithe Award 1847
Map. Millard & Son, Surveyors, Norwich. 1846

Owner: Lord Wodehouse
Occupier: Robert Atkins

No. 259
No. 260
Windmill & yard
Dwelling house, water mill etc
Pasture
Pasture
0a. 1r. 11p.
1a. 0r. 4p.
2/8d
8/5d

To Millers. To be Let. With Immediate Possession
All those two powerful Water & Wind Corn Mills with a good Dwelling house, Barn, Stable & other Outbuildings & about 20 acres of superior Arable, Meadow & Pasture Land situate at Barnham Broom in the County of Norfolk now in the occupation of the Trustees of Mr. Robert Atkins.
For Rent & particulars apply to S.H.L.N. Gilman, Esq. Hingham, Mr. Frank Freestone, Solr. or Mr. Butcher, Auctioneer, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 1st April 1848


To be Let with possession at Michaelmas next
The BARNHAM BROOM WIND & WATER MILLS & 40 acres of very good land. The Wind Mill drives two pair of stones & the Water Mill three pair of stones.
Apply to Mr. Roberson, Barnham Broom Mills, near Wymondham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 26th May, 2nd, 9th & 16th June 1860


Barnham Broom Mills
John Standley has received instructions to Sell by Auction all the Live & Dead FARMING STOCK, Mill Carriages & Sacks … of Mr. Burton B. Harvey under a Deed of Assignment.
Particulars in future papers ..

Auctioneer’s office, Wymondham.
Norfolk News - 26th November 1864

To be Let on Lease. With immediate possession.
The Barnham Broom Water & Wind Mills
With an excellent Residence & about 42 acres of fine Arable & Pasture Land. The Water Mill drives three pairs of Stones & the Windmill two pairs.

Apply to Mr. Forrester, Tombland, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 26th November 1864

To be Let
The Barnham Broom Mills and small Farm adjoining.
The windmill containing two pairs of stones and the Water Mill three pairs and has a Steam Engine (belonging to the tenant) attached to it. Distance from the Hardingham and Kimberley Railway Stations about 2½ miles.
Apply to Mr. Forrester, Tombland Norwich

Norfolk Chronicle - 11th May 1867.


The Bankruptcy Act, 1861
In the MATTER of the Deed of Conveyance for the benefit of Creditors executed by David Sayer of Barnham Broom near Wymondham in the County of Norfolk, Miller & Farmer bearing the date the 11th day of March 1867 & duly registered under & in pursuance of the 192nd section of the above Act.
THE TRUSTEES of the above named David Sayer hereby give notice …
To declare a Dividend on all debts due from the said David Sayer …
Dated this 25th day of May 1867
J.H. Tillett & Son
Solicitors to the said Trustee

St. Andrews Street, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 1st June 1867

Sale Tuesday September 24
Under instructions from Mr. D. Sayer
(Live stock)

12 o'c at the Mills.
Norfolk Chronicle - 21st September 1867

Situations Vacant
To Journeymen Millers
Wanted an experienced Person who must be a Married Man.
Reference required.
Apply to Mr. S. T. Turner, Barnham Broom, Wymondham.

Norfolk News - 28th September 1867


Sale of effects of Mr. Sippens T. Turner, who relinquishes occupation of the Mills.
Norfolk Chronicle - 30th August 1873


5th January 2003
Mill base 5th January 2003

On 14th October 1881, John Wrigglesworth jnr recorded in his notebook:
Severe gale. Cap of mill blown off beside much damage to trees, stacks etc. etc.


On 14th October 1881, John Wrigglesworth jnr recorded in his notebook:
Severe gale. Cap of mill blown off beside much damage to trees, stacks etc. etc.


The Norfolk News of 29th March 1957, published an earlier photograph of the derelict mill that showed a three storey tower with no cap, 2 sails of 9 bays but no shutters, the windshaft and brakewheel, the fan stage but no fan.


Mill House, Barnham Broom, Nr Wymondham

GRADE II

FOR SALE FREEHOLD £38,000
Mill House is a C18 house erected on two storeys. It has 5 bedrooms and there is a self contained annexe. Outside is an old stable block converted to provide a studio/games room and car port.
The grounds include old mill workings and extend to nearly 3 acres.
There is mains electricity, well water, and drainage is to a septic tank.
Oil-fired central heating is installed.
Apply: Messrs. Jackson, Stopps & Staff (Mr. M. Knight), 168, High Street, Newmarket.
Tel. 0638 2231.

S.P.A.B. - February 1978

In 1984 Harry Apling reported that the only remains were the mill foundations and about 5 courses of brickwork.


Listed under Census 1841 is recorded a family by the name of 'Cook'. William Cook (a Journeyman Miller) and his wife Clarissa Cook are noted to be at the Mill with their five children...
The youngest of the children  Clarissa aged 10 in 1841 appears to be the wife of my Great Grand Uncle Edward Henry Howes.
Edward Henry Howes was born on 6th February, 1839 in Wymondham and died on the 3rd September 1900 at Bondi Sydney Australia.
Clarissa Cook was born in 1832 at Norfolk and married Edward Henry Howes on 25th March 1860 at St.Stephens Church Norwich. The Marriage Certificate recorded her fathers name was William Cook and he was a Miller.
Unfortunately Clarissa Cook died on the 7th October, 1860 from a miscarriage aborted at 6 weeks. As both myself and other relatives have a great interest in the Cook and Howes family we wondered if anyone may have any further information which could be helpful to the families here in Australia.

Robert Lee, Queensland, Australia - 1st March 2013


O. S. Map 1881

O. S. Map 1881
Courtesy of NLS map images


O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

1818: Mill built by millwright George Shafto was worked in conjunction with the adjacent watermill

1818: John Stedman, owner

September 1818: Mill advertised for sale by auction

Pigot's 1830: William Atkins, miller

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

White's 1836: Robert Atkins (b.June 1805, Runhall, m. Hannah 1830)

Census 1841:

Robert Atkins (35) miller
Hannah Atkins (30)
Henry Atkins (2)
Susanna Atkins (6 mths)
Harriet Pigg (15) independent
Mary Atkins (15) iIndependent
Caroline Taylor (15) servant
Hannah Carman (15) servant
Rebecca Buitton (20) servant
Ralph Yeomans (25) servant
Address: Water Mill

William Cook (65) journeyman miller
Clarissa Cook (45)
Thurza Cook (20)
James Cook (19) journeyman miller
Mary Cook (15)
Harriet Cook (14)
Clarissa Cook (10)
Maria Pole (20)
William Spurdens (19) journeyman miller

John Rudd (30) journeyman miller
Sophia Rudd (30)
John Rudd (9)
Mary Rudd (7)
William Rudd (5)
Alfred Rudd (3)
Thomas Rudd (1)

White's 1845: Robert Atkins, miller

Tithe Award 1847: Owner Lord Wodehouse; Occupier Robert Atkins

April 1848: Mill advertised to be let

April 1848: Mill let to Tingey & Roberson, farmers & merchants (trustees to Robert Atkins)

1850: Tingey & Roberson, farmers & merchants


Census 1851: William Mitchell (24) b.North Walsham, miller
Maria Mitchell (28) b.Barnham Broom

1853: Tingey & Roberson, farmers & merchants, also at Hardingham - also owned by Lord Wodehouse

1858 - 1860: Tingey & Roberson, farmers & merchants

April 1860: Mill advertised to be let

Birth certificate October 1862: Burton B. Harvey (miller) husband of Sarah and father of Robert Blyth Harvey

1863: Burton B. Harvey, farmer

White's 1864: Burton B. Harvey, miller & farmer

1864: Burton B. Harvey, farmer (made Deed of Assignment to creditors)

November 1864: Trade stock of Burton B. Harvey advertised for sale by auction

November 1864: Mill advertised to be let

1865: David Sayer, miller

11th May 1867: Norfolk Chronicle advertised the mill to be let

June 1867: David Sayer's trustees declared a dividend on his debts

24th September 1867: David Sayer's stock sold (declared bankrupt and made Deed of Conveyance)

1867: Sippens T. Turner, farmer

1868: Sippens T. Turner, farmer

28th September 1872: Sippens T. Turner advertised for a journeyman miller

13th November 1872: James Andrews jnr (12) fatally injured (b. 3rd Oct 1860)

September 1873: Sippens T. Turner sold his effects

1875: John Wrigglesworth, farmer - Mill Farm

Kelly's 1879: John Wrigglesworth jnr, farmer & miller, Mill Farm

14th October 1881: Cap and sails blown off in a gale

18th February 1899: John Wrigglesworth snr died aged 72 (born 17th September 1826 at Wicklewood)

Karl Wood painting 1937: Tower with a conical roof surmounted by a weathervane

c.1942: Mill blown up by the army as practice and the rubble used in the construction of a local airfield.

1973: Mill foundations and about 5 courses of brickwork remaining

February 1978: Property advertised for sale by Jackson, Stopps & Staff for £38,000



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG07550737
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004