Banham
postmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Banham postmill Mill Road c.1920
c.1920

Banham post mill was unusual in that it had clockwise rotating sails. The mill was built on the northeast side of the village in Snailsgate Street and it was some time after 1880 that the road name was changed to Mill Road.
The red brick roundhouse had 9 foot piers that were integral with the 10 foot walls. The 4 double shuttered sails had 7 bays of 3 shutters rotating clockwise, although the innermost pair had an additional two vanes on the leading edge. The buck had a porch and a tailpole with one wheel.


To be Sold, and entered upon at Michaelmas next, a very good Messuage, Baking office, and Windmill, in good Repair, and in full Trade, in Banham and Winfarthing, now in the Occupation of Mr John Tebble, at an old Rent of 22 pounds yearly.
Enquire of Mr William Clarke, at Horne, in Suffolk; or of Mr Henry Jacob, at North Elmham, in Norfolk; or of Mr John Crisp, Attorney at Law, at East Dereham, in Norfolk.

Norfolk Chronicle - 14th September 1782


1949
1949

To be Sold by Auction. By W. Parson At the Lion at Banham, Norfolk On Monday April 13, 1801 at 3 o'clock
Lot 1. A Capital POST WINDMILL in the occupation of Mr. Thomas Cattermoul and a Dwelling House in three tenaments, garden and hempland containing about half an acre in the occupation of - Coby and others.
Lot 2. A Dwelling House, Baking office, barn, stable, garden, orchard and a piece of rich arable land adjoining in the occupation of Mr. Richard Cattermoul.
The above Estates are situate in Banham aforesaid. Possession of Lots 1 and 2 may be had at Michaelmas and of Lots 3 and 4 immediately.

Norfolk Chronicle - 4th & 11th April 1801


To Millers & Bakers
To be Sold by Auction. By W. Parson At the Lion at Banham, Norfolk On Tuesday July 29, 1806 at 3 o'clock
Unless sooner disposed of by private contract.
An ESTATE situate at Banham aforesaid consistoing of an oid established & good accustomed baking office, a capital post windmill in full trade & about 6 acres of rich land adjoining; also a cottage in three tenaments in the occupation of Mr. George Baldry & his undertenants, who will give possession at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Mr.Baldry on the premises.
Norfolk Chronicle - 12th, 19th & 26th July 1806


Banham post 24May1980
24th May 1980

TITHE AWARD 1846
Map C.S. Alger, Surveyor, Diss. 1845

Owner: Isaac Arms
Occupier: Edmund Warren

No. 415
No. 416
Mill, Yard & Buildings
Cottages & Gardens

0a. 1r. 19p.
22p.

------------------
0a. 2r. 1p.




2s. 8d

BANHAM

To be Sold by Auction on Friday 8 September 1854 at the Crown Inn, Diss at 4 o'clock
by George W. Salter, without reserve.
The following property situate BANHAM, Norfolk in one lot comprising a substantially built POST WIND-MILL in good repair with all necessary going gears thereto; also a Cottage near in Two Tenements, with all necessary Outbuildings and large Gardens containing altogether about half an Acre. The above Property is well situated near the town of Banham abutting on the high road leading to New Buckenham and is in the occupation of Mr. Isaac Arms, the proprietor who has for many years there carried on an extensive trade as miller and baker.
The Property possesses peculiar advantages both for occupation and investment.
Apply to J. C. Calver, Solicitor, Kenninghall and Long Stratton or to the Auctioneer, Attleborough.

Norfolk Chronicle - 12th, 19th & 26th August 1854

The mill failed to sell at the August 1854 auction and remained in the possession of Armes family until c.1905.


On 9th July 1973 Mrs. H.B. Bailey of New Costessey wrote that she believed the Littleproud family took over the mill when Joseph Armes left in c.1905.


In January 2009, Geoffrey Aldridge telephoned Jonathan Neville to provide some additional details of the mill's history. Geoffrey maintained that he did not know anyone who had heard of Edwin Smith who was listed as miller in 1922 and 1925. He also mentioned that after Benjamin Smith received his army call-up papers in 1915, he took little interest in the mill and failed to turn it to wind during the storm that destroyed it later that year.


April 1982
April 1982

Banham postmill was derelict by 1980 and the roofless red brick roundhouse was being used as a store. However the main post and trestle timbers were still nearby.


1782: John Tebble, miller

14th September 1782: Mill advertised for sale with tenant John Tebble paying £22 per annum

Faden's map 1797: Mill

April 1801: Mill advertised for sale by auction Banham whilst in the occupation of Thomas Cattermoul, miller

April 1801: Mill sold by private contract prior to the auction

July 1806: Mill advertised for sale in the occupation of George Baldry, miller and his undertenants

White's 1836: William Armes, miller & baker

Census 1841:

William Arms (20) miller  
Isaac Arms jnr (15) miller
Henry Humphrey (20) carpenter
Address: Snailgate Street

Shadrack Sayer? (75) miller
Susan Sayer? (52)

Henry Blogg (47) journeyman miller
Susan Blogg (38)

1836-1845: William Armes, miller & baker

White's 1845: William Armes, miller & baker

Tithe Award 1846: Owner: Isaac Armes; Occupier: Edmund Warren, miller

1850: Isaac Armes, miller & baker

Census 1851: Isaac Armes snr (60) b.Hargrave, Suffolk 
Maria Armes (56) b.Harling
Maria Armes Daur (21) b.New Buckenham, dressmaker
Charles Armes (19) b.New Buckenham
Joseph Armes (18) b.New Buckenham
Address: Snailgate Street

Kelly's 1854: Isaac Arms, miller

c.1850-1856: Isaac Armes, miller

c.January 1857: Joseph Armes, miller, baker & farmer

White's 1864: Joseph Arms, miller & baker

Kelly's 1879: Joseph Arms, miller

1880: Rate Valuation List: Joseph Armes of Snailsgate Street

White's 1883: Joseph Armes, miller, baker & farmer, Moor Farm

Kelly's 1896: Joseph Arms, farmer & miller (wind)

Kelly's 1900: Joseph Arms, farmer & miller (wind)

Kelly's 1904: Joseph Armes, miller (wind)

1908: Herbert Thrower, miller

Kelly's 1912: Benjamin Smith. miller (wind & steam)

1915: Mill tailwinded and blown over

Kelly's 1916: Benjamin Smith, grist miller (steam)

1916: Single pair of stones powered by an oil engine were being worked in a shed adjacent to the mill

1917: Benjamin Smith killed whilst on active service in World War I

11th Octoberr 1920: Sydney Samuel Aldridge moved into the mill house

Kelly's 1922: Edwin Smith, grist miller (steam)

Kelly's 1925: Edwin Smith, grist miller (oil engine)

1926: Edward Smith, miller (oil)

Kelly's 1929: Edwin Smith, grist miller (oil engine)

1937: Roundhouse roof still intact and centre post still in position

March 1953: Sydney Samuel Aldridge died

1953: Geoffrey Aldridge, Mill House

1980: Mill derelict with 10 foot walls, the 4 piers and part of the centre post remaining

2000: Mill derelict with 10 foot walls, with only the 4 piers remaining

2009: Geoffrey Aldridge, Mill House


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM06838838
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006