Banham
composite mill



Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Banham composite mill 1932
1932

Banham composite mill was built c.1840 and consisted of a postmill that had been set onto the truncated lower section of an old towermill. The postmill had been bought by millwright Robert Gilbert from John Lane of Hingham_watermill, who had just replaced his postmill with a towermill.


The body of Banham composite mill was moved from Hingham on a drug hauled by ten horses; it was to have been erected on top of the ridge, but the drug became bogged and it was decided to build the tower there and erect the mill on it.
Rex Wailes


The 40 foot mill consisted of a 15ft 6ins long by 10ft wide postmill buck set onto a curb set on the top of a two storey brick tower that may well have been built for the purpose. The 4 double shuttered patent sails each had 7 bays of 3 shutters. The six bladed fan was set on top of the buck and connected down to a rack on the curb on the tower engaged by twin spur pinions on the opposite ends of a horizontal shaft.. The brake wheel had two pairs of cogs; the outer row with iron segments bolted to the extreme edge of the wheel rim drove the stones and the inner cogs drove the sack hoist and ancilliary machinery. The mill started life in Banham with two pairs of French burr stones, a configuration that was later changed to a wooden clasp arm spur wheel that drove two pairs of stones in the breast of the mill and an iron tail wheel drove another pair of stones in the tail of the mill, all the stones being underdriven.

There was no external access and the interior of the mill was reached via the inside of the brick tower base. The porch was left in situ and fenced to become a balcony. A central strut on each side of the buck connected to the revolving petticoat and lower roof section.


BRICKKILNS, MALTING, MILL and other Valuable Property at BANHAM and Attleborough To Be Sold by Auction by DANIEL MORLEY at the Lion Inn, Banham on 14 October 1840 at 6 o’clock, (under the Directions of the Will of Mr. Robert Gilbert, Millwright, Brickmaker and Maltster deceased)
Lot 1. A Dwelling House with Millwright’s shop adjoining situate at Banham.
Lot 3. A Messuage now used as three Dwellings with Yard and Gardens and an Inclosure of excellent Arable LAND containing about 3 acres with new built brick and tiled Stables and Cart lodge and a POST WINDMILL, thereon containing spacious Roundhouse and driving two pairs of French Stones, with patent sails, fly wheel and all necessary and modern machinery lately completely fitted up and capable of doing an extensive business and now in the occupation of Mr. Jonas Mallett and others.

Apply to Mr. John Coulsdon of Quidenham, Farmer or to Mr. Edward Wellingham of Walton near Lynn, Farmer, the Executors or to Mr. Daniel Calver, Solicitor, Kenninghall or the Auctioneer, Carleton Rode, Norfolk.
Norfolk Chronicle - 26th September, 3rd & 10th October 1840

The mill was advertised for sale by auction in May 1863 by direction of the Executor under the will of Mr. John Mallett deceased the mill being in the occupation of Mr. John Hazell and his under tenant.


c.1942

Banham, Norfolk
Mr. S. Wells will Sell by Auction on Monday 11 May 1863 at the Crown Inn, Banham at 6 o’c in the Evening in One Lot, by direction of the Executor under the will of Mr. John Mallett deceased.
A capital POST WINDMILL with spacious Round house, driving two pairs of French Stones, patent sails, fly wheel & requisite machinery, completely fitted & doing a good business. Also a SUBSTANTIAL MESSUAGE with Stable & Cart Lodges & an Inclosure of Fine ARABLE LAND containing 2a.2r.19p. more or less, now in the occupation of Mr. John Hazell & his under tenant.
Possession may be had at Michaelmas next.
Norfolk News - 18th April & 2nd May 1866


Situations Vacant
To Parents & Guardians
WANTED, a Young Man as an APPRENTICE to the Milling Business.
Apply to John C. Hazell, Miller, Banham, Attleborough.
Norfolk News - 1st December 1866



O.S. Map 1890
O.S. Map 1890
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

… Banham
… A POST WIND-MILL with DWELLING HOUSE, COTTAGE & 5a.1r.32p. of Arable LAND situate in Banham.
Salter, Simpson& Sons are favoured with instructions from the Executors of the late Mr. Jas. Hewitt to Sell by Auction at the Royal Hotel, Attleborough on Thursday September 13, 1894 at Five pm. sharp, in Ten Lots, the above desirable PROPERTY.

Particulars of the Auctioneers, Attleborough & Bury St. Edmunds or of Mr. G.M. Hall, Attleborough, Vendors’ Solicitor.
Norfolk Chronicle - 25th August 1894

Property Market
Attleborough

On the 13th inst. Mr. W. Salter (Salter, Simnpson& Sons) held a sale at the Royal Hotel, Attleborough by order of the late Mr. Hewitt’s Executors for the disposal of his estate. … The Banham property which let at £41 per annum was withdrawn at £275.
Norfolk Chronicle - 22nd September 1894

…BANHAM
Two Dwelling Houses and 22 Cottages and Gardens, POST WINDMILL and DWELLING HOUSE and 5 a.1r.32p of Land which SALTER, SIMPSON & SONS are favoured with instructions from the executors of the late Mr. Jas. Hewitt to Sell by Auction at the Royal Hotel, Attleborough on Thursday, September 13, 1894
At Five p.m. sharp, in Ten Lots as follows:-
IN BANHAM
Lot 10. A Comfortable DWELLING HOUSE with Garden, also a COTTAGE attached, Capital POST WINDMILL, Stables, Piggeries and Cart Lodges together with 5a. 1r. 32p. of Mixed Soil Arable LAND situate on the Main Road from Attleborough to Kenninghall, in the occupation of Mr. Wm. Barker at the annual Rental of £41.
Further Particulars of the Auctioneers, Attleborough and Bury St. Edmunds or of Mr. George Martin Hall, Attleborough, Vendors’ Solicitor.
Norfolk Chronicle - 1st September 1894

Millers, Bakers, and Others.  For immediate Sale, good district, Norfolk, capital Steam and Tower Mill, with bake-office, dwelling house, stables, granaries, and about 6 acres old pasture land.  Good business being done. Reasons for sale, ill health.  Part of money can remain. 
Apply Banham, valuer, Watton, Norfolk.

Lynn Advertiser - 30th January 1903

Millers, Bakers, and Others.  For immediate Sale, good district, Norfolk, capital Steam and Tower Mill, with bake-office, dwelling house, stables, granaries, and about 6 acres old pasture land.  Good business being done. Reasons for sale, ill health.  Part of money can remain. 
Apply, Alexander, Banham, Watton, Norfolk.

Lynn Advertiser - 6th February 1903

Banham composite 24May1980
24th May 1980

Thomas Riches was the last miller to work the mill and died on 31st October 1975. He was known by many as Wrecker Riches as he had helped demolish so many windmills. In 1920 he was recorded as helping to demolish New Buckenham postmill and he also helped demolish Mundham_postmill.


After the mill ceased to use wind power, the buck was dismantled and the stones reinstalled in the tower base where they were powered by an auxilliary oil engine until 1949.


c.1840: Mill constructed using existing towermill base and postmill buck from Hingham

September 1840: Mill for sale in the occupation of Jonas Mallett, miller

Census 1841: Jonas Mallett (25) miller
Mary Mallett (20)
Philip Barnard (15)
Address: Westgate Street

William Hewett (25) farmer
James Hewett (25) miller
Harriet Hewett (25)
Address: North Byte

Tithe Award 1846: Robert Mallett, owner, Jonas Mallett, occupier

September 1849: Mill for sale with Jonas Mallett (and others) as occupier paying £38 rent p.a.

Census 1851: Charles Steggall (43) b.Brockford, Suffolk, miller
Rhoda Steggall (38) b.Winfarthing
Carnaby J. Hazell (16) b.Hingham, miller apprentice
Emma Linstead (19) b.Roydon, dressmaker (visitor)
Address: Gt Green

Daniel Morley (26) b.Bressingham, journeyman miller
Sophia Morley (23) b.Bressingham
Daniel Morley (1 mnth) b.Bressingham
Address: Great Green

White's 1854: James Mallott, corn miller

c.1863: John Mallett died

May 1863: Mill for sale in the occupation of John Hazell and his under tenant

1866: John Hazell, miller

1863-c.1878: John Garrard Hazell, miller

c.1878-c.1912: William Barker, miller

Kelly's 1879: William Barker, miller

White's 1883: William Barker, miller

O.S. Map 1890: Windmill (Corn)

13th September 1894: Mill withdrawn from auction at £275. In the occupation of William Barker at a rent of £41

c.1895: Auxiliary steam power installed

Kelly's 1896: William Barker, miller (wind & steam) & farmer

Kelly's 1900: William Barker, miller (wind & steam) & farmer

January 1903: Mill advertised for sale

Kelly's 1904: William Barker, miller (wind & steam) & farmer

Kelly's 1912: William Barker, miller (wind & steam) & farmer

Kelly's 1916: Benjamin Smith, grist miller (steam)

1922: Frank Percy Ward, miller (oil engine)

1925: Drane & Riches, millers (oil engine)

1929: Tom Riches, miller

1929: Mill ceased to use wind power

1936: Stocks still in place but sails and fantail gone

1949: Mill ceased working

31st October 1975: Thomas "Wrecker" Riches died

1980: Mill down to two storeys and being used as a store in a coal yard. One bedstone remaining


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM05258800
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006