Attleborough
Dodd's Lane towermill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Attleborough Dodd's Lane towermill was a 4 storey mill that stood to the southwest of the town close to the Hargham Road. The mill had had one pair of common sails and one pair of patent sails that drove two pairs of French burr stones and a flour mill. The cap was turned by a fantail.

1815 Enclosure Award Map at Greenland, Houchen & Co. (Solicitors) Attleborough, shows T. Dodd in Dodd's Lane, which was at that time a private road. The mill is not shown.


Sale by Mr. Butcher at Crown Inn, Attleborough on Thursday 8 May next at 5 o’c
Lot 3. A Piece of excellent Arable Land lying near to the Mill belonging to Mr. Dodd. Copyhold of the Manor of Ellingham Rectory.

Norfolk Chronicle - 3rd May 1834


Tithe Award map 1838
Tithe Award map 1838 - redrawn by Harry Apling c.1980

Tithe Award 1839
Map, J. Easton, Surveyor, Old Buckenham, 1838
Owner: Thomas Dodd
Occupier: do

No. 572 House, mill & premises 1a. 1r. 8p. Part of £4. 10/-

Capital Freehold TOWER WINDMILL & Land
Lot 1. A Capital TOWER WINDMILL well situated for wind, driving two pairs of French stones, winding herself & fitted up with four Floors, 2 common & 2 spring sails, Flour Mill & going Gears in perfect order. Also a substantial built brick & tiled Dwelling house standing near the above in complete repair & containing …, a useful Barn, Stables, Cart lodges & other Outbuildings & Yards, well planted & prolific Garden & Orchards containing with the sites 1a. 0r. 7p. or thereabouts, of which 0a. 1r. 0p. is Copyhold & the residue with the Mill, House & other Buildings are Freehold.
A very extensive, increasing & profitable business has been carried on in the above premises for more than 60 years past.
Lot 2. Land adjoining the Thetford Turnpike Road …
Lot 3. Land … next lands of Sir T.B. Beevor, Bart.
All the above lots are in the occupation of Mr. Thomas Dodd, the Proprietor & Possession may be had of them at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Mr. Charles Cockell Solr. Or the Auctioneer, Attleborough.

Norfolk Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 15th, 22nd & 29th July 1848


c.1788: Thomas Dodd took over running the mill

Faden's map 1797: Mill

1822: Thomas Dodd, miller

Bryant's map 1826: Mill

May 1834: Mention of the mill in sale particulars

White's 1836: Thomas Dodd, corn miller

White's 1845: Thomas Dodd, corn miller

1846: Thomas Dodd, miller

1850: Robert Lovett, miller

1856: Robert James Lovett, miller

1864: Robert James Lovett, miller

c.1865: Mill demolished to be replaced by a smockmill

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM03909425
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006