Ashby St. Mary
postmill


Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

c.1905
c.1905

Ashby St Mary post mill was built c.1758 and remained working for over 150 years. The mill had a roundhouse and had a 75 foot diameter footprint. The buck had a gallery at the eaves, a balcony porch with a gable end roof. The fantail with a 6 bladed fan was on the ladder. The 4 double shuttered sails of 8 bays were struck by rack & pinion and drove 2 pairs of French burr stones. The mill house was sunk one floor below ground level in order to not take wind from the mill as were those at Wilton_Road, Feltwell. An auxiliary steam engine had been installed by 1900.


NORFOLK
To be SOLD
A WIND-MILL in very good Repair, built new about five Years since, upon Ashby Common in Norfolk, about six Miles from Norwich.
For further Particulars enquire of Mr. Gardiner HARWOOD, Attorney at Law, at Norwich.

Norwich Mercury - 5th November 1763


To be Sold by Private Contract
All that POST WINDMILL in full Trade working two pairs of French Stones, with all requisite machinery in excellent condition. Also a substantial Messuage with a cottage, stable & convenient out-buildings situated near the Mill & a Garden well planted, contiguous with the site of the Buildings, about a quarter of an acre.
The Estate is Freehold, in the parish of Ashby near Loddon & in the occupation of the proprietor, Mr. Robert KING, who is retiring from business.
Annual Outgoings 12s.
Possession may be had immediately if required & further particulars on application to Mr. COPEMAN, Solr. Chedgrave.

Norfolk Chronicle - 6th January 1827


Robert King, Yeoman of Heigham in Norwich, 1843. ANF, will register, 1842-1844
(there in 1841 census with daughter Sarah Halls  & Gdau Teresa Halls)
On 9th  June 1840 Robert King signed  his will, William Youngs miller of Ashby was named  his executor, property left to his daughter Sarah wife of Robert Halls (a schoolmaster) during her lifetime for her own sole use and after her decease the same messuages, tenements, windmill, hereditaments and real stock to his grandchild Teresa daughter of his daughter Sarah - and any other children she may leave at her decease, his household goods etc to William Youngs to be sold and the money raised to pay just debts etc. and then to daughter.  A codicil written 9th June 1840 gave permission for the Ashby property to be sold if daughter Sarah and William Youngs agreed.
Robert King died 3 Dec 1842 and his personal estate was under £200, will proved 18 May 1843.

Norfolk Chronicle - 6th January 1827
Presumably this means he did not sell the mill when he retired
Elvie Herd


ASHBY near Loddon
To Millers & others
To be Sold at Auction by H. COREHAM on Tuesday next May 3, 1864.

The HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE, Stock in Trade ... & other Effects of Mr. RUSHMORE, Miller, Ashby near Loddon (under Bill of Sale)
The Out-door Effects consist of ... Three capital Miller's Carts, Luggage Cart, Two sets of Harness ... about 100 Flour sacks & Bags, 4 score Corn Sacks, Flour Scales & Beams, Iron Weights, Mill Bills, Chains, Seives, Jumper & Strap complete, Boltoing Cloths, Bushel & other Measures etc.
Sale to commence at 12 o'c.

Norfolk News - 30th April 1864


Advertisment re Steam Mill in the name of Charles Hazell
Norfolk Chronicle - 26th July - 30th August 1873


O.S. Map 1890 - 1891
O.S. Map 1890 - 1891
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

On 15th July 1971, Harry Apling recorded that the mill's foundations were half in the garden of the original Mill House and half in the garden of the newer Mill Bungalow.


c.1757: Mill built

5th November 1763: Mill advertised for sale

Faden's map 1797: Mill

Poll Book 1802: Robert King, miller

Bryant's map 1826: Mill

1826: Robert King, miller

Poll Book 1827: Robert King, miller

January 1827: Mill advertised for sale due to the retirement of Robert King

White's 1836: William Young, miller

White's 1845: William Young, miller

White's 1854: William Young, corn miller

1856: William Young, miller

1858: John Fish Rushmore, miller

White's 1864: John Fish Rushmore, corn miller

3rd May 1874: Effects of Mr. Rushmore, miller sold at auction

1883: Daniel Burroughes, miller & farmer

White's 1883: Daniel Burroughes, miller & farmer

O.S. Map 1890-1891: Ashby Windmill (Barley, Corn & Flour)

Kelly's 1892: Daniel Burroughes, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1896: Daniel Burroughes, miller (wind & steam) & farmer

Kelly's 1900: Daniel Burroughes, miller (wind & steam) & farmer

Kelly's 1904: Frederick George Chapman, miller (wind & steam)

c.1910: Mill ceased to operate by wind power

February 1914: Frederick George Graham Chapman bankrupt (also at Croxton smockmill)

Kelly's 1916: Albert Arthur Culling, miller (steam)

15th July 1971: Mr. Moll, Mill House and Herbert Chubbock Mill Bungalow


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG32750145
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006