Aldeby
Waterloo
postmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Aldeby Waterloo postmill stood on Windle Hills to the north of the brick kilns as shown on Faden's map of 1795.


On 3rd August 1601, William Maxwell, miller at Aldbey made a will and left the leases of his two mills to his son, William Maxwell jnr. One mill was at Wheatacre Burrowe and the other was described as being at Howe, possiubly meaning one of the mills at Ludham.


The following melancholy accident happened during the late high wind; Mr. John Greef, of Cranworth, being in his mill at the time it was blown down, was unfortunately killed by its fall.
A mill at Aldeby, and Mr. Chasteney’s mill at Brissingham (the third within three years) were also blown down. – The sails from Cringleford, Mulbarton, New Buckenham, Poringland, and several other mills in the county, were also swept off.

Norfolk Chronicle - 14th November 1795


1601: William Maxwell, miller

1783: Joseph Hodskinson (W. Faden) map of Suffolk 1783: Mill

November 1795: Mill blown over in a gale

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826: Mill


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM43109340
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004