Quidenham Mill
River Wittle

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Quidenham Mill was an estate mil that was working in 1804 but it appears to have gone by 1826. The water wheel powered two pairs of stones.


Mr Gooch of Quidenham having a water-mill which was sometimes unemployed for want of water erected a steam engine contigious at the expense of 500l

It was in the drought of 1800 of singular use to the whole country for wind and water having both failed in great measure corn was brought from ten miles distance to be ground by this engine it has two pairs of stones to the water wheel and two pair to the engine. The power of twelve horses.

A General View of the Agriculture of the County of Norfolk - drawn up for the consideration of the board of Agriculture by The Secretary of the Board - Mr Young - 1804

It was also recorded in the above document that Mr. Gooch was commended by the commoners of Kenninghall for: ...laying every mans ground near his house....to general satisfaction.


Faden's map 1797: Water Mill

1800: 12hp steam engine running to power additional two pairs of stones

1804: Mr. Gooch, miller & agent for Quidenham Estate


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM02758780
Top of Page
Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2010