Gunton Mill
Hagon Beck



Mill site 18th February 2008
Mill site 18th February 2008

Gunton had a watermill recorded at the time of Domesday that probably continued to work through medieval times.

By the time the estate was sold in 1676, the mill had gone, although the millpond still remained and was shown on the map provided with the sale particulars.

The millpond was also shown on the O.S. map of 1838, by which time Hagon Beck had been dammed to form the lake known as Great Water to the north of the mill. It is unknown as to whether the mill had already ceased working by the time the beck was dammed or whether this was the cause of its demise. Great Water then fed Sawmill Lake with the sawmill's twin wheels set in line with the lake surface. The outflow from the sawmill then became Hagon Beck once more, eventually rejoining the original watercourse.


Brickwork on southern bank Brickwork on northern bank
Brickwork on southern bank
Brickwork on northern bank

1676 map from sale particulars
1676 map from sale particulars

Mill site 18th February 2008
Mill site 18th February 2008

O. S. Map 1885

O. S. Map 1885
Mill site top left above Hanworth Lodge - Gunton Sawmill at the south end of the Mill Pondl
Courtesy of NLS map images


O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

Domesday record 1086: Mill

Norfolk Record Office document 1714: Change of occupancy at
Gunton watermill

c.1750: Artificial lake formed above the mill

O.S.map 1838: Mill Pond

2008: Sections of old lower brickwork remaining along the sides of Hagon Beck


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG22033369
Top of Page
Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2008