Gooderstone Mill
River Gaddr



9th March 2003
9th March 2003

So far I have not found any records or photographs of Gooderstone mill that indicate its original structure apart from the brick base and twin channels that join under the road. The mill had three pairs of stones that were powered by both water and steam. The mill stoon on the River Gadder that flowed into the River Wissey.


9th March 2003
9th March 2003

N0TICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the Trade or Business of Millers and Flour sellers, heretofore carried on by us the undersigned CHARLES BROOKE and MALLOWS GARROD at Gooderstone in the County of Norfolk under the style or firm of 'Brooke & Garrod' was this day DISSOLVED by mutual consent; and that all debts due and owing to or from the co-partnership will be received and paid by the said Charles Brooke who will continue to carry on the said business on his own account. As witness our hands this 21st day of January 1861.

Charles Brooke
Mallows Garrod
Witness J. Plimsaul, Swaffham
A.H.R. Micklefield, Stoke Ferry

Norfolk Chronicle - 26th January 1861


9th March 2003 Headrace 9th March 2003
9th March 2003
Headrace 9th March 2003

WANTED immediately, a Young Man to assist in a Water Mill.
Apply to Martin DUNGER, Gooderstone, Stoke Ferry.
Norfolk News - 14th September 1872



Tailrace November 1982 Tailrace 9th March 2003
Tailrace November 1982
Tailrace 9th March 2003

To Millers & others
To be Let for a Term of Years with Possession at Michaelmas The Gooderstone Steam & Water CORN MILL, containing three pairs of stones.
For rent & particulars apply to Messrs. J. & T. BROOKE, Gooderstone, Stoke Ferry.

Norfolk News - 26th July & 1st August 1874


O. S. Map 1883

O. S. 6" Map 1883 (not to scale)
Courtesy of NLS map images


O. S. 25

O. S. 25" Map 1883 (not to scale)
Courtesy of NLS map images


The Brooke family owned the watermill but on occasions they let it out to various tenants, usually nearby windmill owners.

The windmill nearest to the watermill was Chalkrow_Lane_towermill. This towermill only had the minimum of three floors and its sails ran clockwise, driving two pairs of left handed stones. It was owned by and built for George Seppings c.1829 but the 1841 Tithe Award shows that it was rented out to Charles Brooke. The Brooke family also owned the other two windmills in Gooderstone as well as the watermill.


Faden's map 1797: Mill

Poll Book 1802: William Warner

White's 1836: Charles Brooke & Mallows Garrod, wind & water

Census 1841:

George Garrod (40) cordwainer
Susan Garrod (35)
Henry Garrod (15) miller
Ann Garrod (15)


Census 1841:

Samuel Garrod (75) farmer
Elizabeth Garrod (65)
Henry Garrod (30) farmer
William Garrod (25) miller
Ann Garrod (30)
John Reynolds (20) servant

White's 1845: Charles Brooke & Mallows Garrod, corn millers, Wind & Water Mills & farmers (owners)

White's 1854:

Here are three wind mills, and a water mill, the latter on the banks of a rivulet which flows southward to the Wissey.

White's 1854: Charles Brooke & Mallows Garrod, wind & water

1858: Charles Brooke & Mallows Garrod, also at Chalkrow Lane towermill

January 1861: Partnership of Charles Brooke & Mallows Garrod dissolved leaving Charles Brooke in charge

1872: Martin Dunger, also at Gooderstone Street towermill near church (possibly tenant)

July & August 1874: J. & T. Brooke advertised the mill to be let

1890: Thomas William King, also at Chalkrow Lane towermill

Kelly's 1892: Thomas William King, miller (wind & water)

Kelly's 1896: Thomas William King, miller (wind & water)

Kelly's 1900: Thomas William King, miller (wind & water)

Kelly's 1904: Thomas William King, miller (wind & water)

Kelly's 1908: Thomas William King, miller (wind & water)

c.1910: Mill ceased working


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF 77150296
Top of Page
Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2003