Glandford Mill
River Glaven

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

c.1912 and newly rebuilt
c.1912 and newly rebuilt

Glandford watermill was built in 1912 using flint from local gravel pits and had probably not long been rebuilt when the above picture was taken. The mill was not mentioned in Domesday but was certainly mentioned in the 17th century.

In 1824, the miller, William Cooke wrote a letter stating that at times, the tides at his mill used to pass through the water wheel into the mill dam beyond. This happened virtually daily until 1823 and in earlier times it is probable that in times of high tides, sea water came in as far as Bayfield.


The mill dam in 1946 1946
The mill dam in 1946
1946

May 1967
May 1967

In 1907 it was owned by Sir Alfred Jodrell of Bayfield Hall who kept it well maintained. Sir Alfred was a great public benefactor, he virtually rebuilt the entire parish and sent weekly gifts of vegetables to the Norfolk & Norwich Hospital plus chickens and turkeys at Christmas. He took a great interest in the administration of his estates and restoring old churches.


Due to injuries received in the first world war Horace Robert Revell was unable to return to his employment as butler to Sir Alfred Jodrell, so he went into business with a man named Holbrook and they ran Glandford Mill. The mill eventually went out of business and Horace moved to Marham as a poultryman for a farmer named Brown.


April 1956 May 1967
April 1956
May 1967

By S. Chapman At the New Inn, Holt, Norfolk
On Monday 27 September at 4 o’c
(By the Order of the Assignees of Mr. Samuel Copland)

Lot 1. All that capital POST_WINDMILL_situate_in_Holt aforesaid, with a spacious roundhouse, two pair of French stones, flour mill & jumper with going gears complete. ALSO an unexpired term of 17 years in the Piece of LAND containing one acre & upwards, on part of which the mill stands. The above Mill has been recently rebuilt & is replete with every convenience & adapted for carrying on an extensive trade, having easy communication with the ports of Blakeney & Cley, from whence flour is shipped by regular trades to London, Newcastle, Hull, Leeds, Wakefield & other places.

Lot 2. An unexpired term of 17 years in a lease of a Brick & tile Yard … dwelling house …

Holt is a considerable market town & the neighbourhood is populous & respectable & the whole concern form an eligible situation for a man of property as it commands an excellent trade both in the mealing & brick & tile trade.

Apply to Mr. Withers, jun, Solr. Holt, Mr. Jas,. Chapman, Bungay, or to Mr. Wm. Cook, Glandford Mills, near Holt.
Norfolk Chronicle - 4th, 11th & 25th September 1819


To Millers
To be Let With Possession at Michaelmas next
A Capital POST WINDMILL with two pairs of French stones, flour mill, jumper & roundhouse, with two floors, together with a good Dwelling house, contiguous garden etc. situate in the parish of Hindringham.
Apply (if by letter post paid) to Mr. C. Cooke & Son, Glandford near Holt.

Norfolk Chronicle - 21st July 1827

Last miller
Below the ford, the old dam is choked with weed, and there is a pungenbt scent of water mint. The mill, whgich is now a dwelling house, was built in 1912, and replaced a wooden one. The last miller lost heart after the 1953 sea-surge, having had much of his equipment ruined.He said, You never knowwhen that's a-coming agin, though they do say once in a lifetime." Even an ordinary big tide "bayed up" the water, and prevented the mill from working.
Anybody at first sight of Glandford would suspect that nearly all the building was the result of the same influence. Eight double cottages with flint and brick gables were put up by Sir Alfred Jodrell of Bayfield Hall at the turn of the century. They replaced the same number of dilapidated dwellings which were demolished.
Each of the newer houses has a garden before it and behind. Sir Alfred sent men in early summer to bed out the front gardens, after which the tenants cared for them. "He was the boss, he was, paid everyone's dog licence, and he would have them there dawgs buried in his ceme-tary agin' Bayfield Hall."

Jane Hales, Eastern Daily Press - 9th September 1972

By the time it was sold in 1969 the wheel had gone and the mill was used as a store. However, it was subsequently sympathetically converted into a residence and in 1971 was also used in the running of a fish farming business. On 19th November 1974 the Eastern Daily Press reported that Robin Combe of Bayfield Fish Farm had lost £15,000 - £20,000 of rainbow trout due to heavy rain and flooding.


Retirement brings little rest for this miller

For pensioner Mr. Arthur Rayner, of Holt, retirement has brought little respite from his work as a miller.
After 50 years in the trade, first at Glandford for three years and then at Letheringsett_Mill, Arthur, as he is known by employers and customers alike, might have been expected to put his feet up.
But retirement simply means he has to cram a week's work into a couple of days.
ROUTINE
Milling, grinding, rolling oats, maintaining the machinery, keeping an eye on water levels, bagging up feedstuffs, selling various products to customers, humping one hundredweight sacks up and down stairs - these are only a few of the tasks Arthur includes in his daily routine.
Arthur went to work as an apprentice flour miller at Glandford_Mill in July 1924, seven months after his 14th birthday.
Both mills were then owned by the Cracknell family, but after the early death of Mr. Cracknell, Glandford was was sold and Arthur moved to the mill at Letheringsett.
FEEDSTUFFS
Mr. T. G. M. Boast managed the mill there for Ms. Cracknell for several years, eventually taking over on his own account until his retirement three years ago, when it was taken over by Aminovit, an animal feedstuffs firm whose co-directors are Mr. J. E. Sheen and Mr. E. S. M. Starling.
During his 50 years of milling, Arthur, who is now a provender-miller, has seen many changes at Letheringsett. The original water-driven machinery is still contained within the 200-year-old mill, although the drive shafts which work the various belts and rollers used today are run by a diesel engine.
"The diesel engine was installed in 1940," recalls Arthur.
When he started work 14 men were working at Glandford and Letheringsett. Now Arthur is the only one left. Until a year ago the mill was used to manufacture animal feedstuffs. Now it is mainly used as a warehouse selling the feed mad by other large manufacturers.
What milling work is done there now, all by Arthur, is chiefly grinding corn brought in and collected by local farmers.
"Pries have changed tremendously since I started work," said Arthur. A stone of maize used to cost 10d., now it would cost 62 or 63 new pence. The barley used to be bagged in coombs when I started, now it is all half hundredweight sacks."
DRESSING
In the twenties part of his duties included dressing the stones of the water wheel. Today he has to concern himself with engine bearings and oil levels.
"There isn't much place for these small mills nowadays. The big combines have taken most of the trade. Still, I manage to keep busy," said Arthur.

Eastern Daily Press - 1974


c.1995
c.1995

23rd March 2003
23rd March 2003

Mill dam drained to allow for mill repairs 9th April 2012 Mill dam drained to allow for mill repairs 9th April 2012
Mill dam drained to allow for mill repairs 9th April 2012

16th December 2012
16th December 2012

O. S. Map 1886

O. S. Map 1886
Courtesy of NLS map images


O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

White's 1836: William Cooke, chief constable


16th December 1796: "Some poor people stopt loades of flour at Sherington belonging to 2 Rouse of Glanford going to Lynn."

Faden's map 1797: Glanford Mill

1819: William Cook, miller

1824: William Cooke

1827: Mr. C. Cook & Sons

White's 1836: Catherine Cooke & Sons, corn millers

Hindringham Tithe Award 1839: William Cooke listed as owner of Hindringham postmill

White's 1845: W. & R. Cooke

Census 1851: William Cook (62) employing 5 men
Robins Cook (21) son
Barnard Beans (62) journeyman miller
Benjamin Beans (19) miller's carter (son)
Francis High (27) journeyman miller
James Long (47) miller's carter

White's 1864: Robins Cooke jnr

Kelly's 1883: Robins Cooke

Kelly's 1896: Robins Cooke, farmer, corn merchant and coal merchant

Kelly's 1900: Robins Cooke

Census 1901: Samuel Bush, journeyman miller, living with wife Maria in Cley Road, Glandford.
Samuel grandfather of Samuel Bush at Bintry mill in 1950s

Kelly's 1922: Holbrook & Revell

July 1924: Arthur Rayner started work as an apprentice miller to Edward Cracknell aged 14 years, 7 months


Kelly's 1925: Edward Cracknell

Kelly's 1937: Wiliam Robert West

1953: Mill ceased working after a major sea surge ruined equipment

1969: Mill sold - wheel gone and the mill used as a store

1971: Fish farming business being run on the site

19th November 1974: £15,000 - £20,000 of rainbow trout lost due to heavy rain and flooding.


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 04444163
Top of Page
Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2003