Geldeston Mill
River Waveney

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

c.1865
c.1865

Geldeston mill was near the lock and was large, being 4 storeys high. It was apparently built of weatherboard over a brick base with a pantiled roof and had 2 lucums. The photograph above is recorded as being of Geldeston although it is significantly different to both the description and the sketch below...

It is said that the mill had 4 wheels and 16 pairs of stones, however this seems unlikely, bearing in mind the size of the building.

Apart from the fact that it was pulled down between 1860 and 1870, little else is known about this mill.


Engraving by W. Forrester
Engraving by W. Forrester, 1878
and painted by J. Starke c.1820

c.1900
c.1900

Until the late 1960s a plaque commemorating the mill was attached to a small stack of bricks on the river bank but eventually both the bricks and the sign went into the river. This was all that remained of the millrace, which itself was later diverted into the ditch behind the Locks Inn.


Pippa Miller's copy of an old document
Pippa Miller's copy of an old document

O. S. Map 1903

O. S. Map 1903
Courtesy of NLS map images


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM 38989086
Top of Page
Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004