Feltwell Mill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Feltwell watermill was working in the 1200s and later mills were also worked for several hundred years.


The Bishop of Ely's Manor 1277.
There was also a watermill belonging to his lordship called BRIGGE MELN, which the whole village farmed at 32s. per annum, and a windmill.

Blomefield's History of Norfolk. Vol II, Hundred of Grimeshou, Feltwell.


A. J. Orange's, The Story of Feltwell, 1970 and Armstrong's History of Norfolk maintain that the mill was actually recorded in 1250 during the survey undertaken by Hugh de Norwold, Bishop of Ely. Brigge Meln referred to a mill near the bridge.

s

In Mr. Speed's garden, alongside the Pumping Station on the riverbank beyond Shrub-Hill are the remains of an old building. In one wall can be seen a semi-circular groove which was obviously gouged into the wall by the edge of a water wheel.
A. J. Orange - 1970


1250: Watermill & windmill recorded in a survey undertaken by Hugh de Norwold, Bishop of Ely

1277: Watermill

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TL7...9...
Top of Page
Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007