East Harling
Steam Mill


Return to index of Norfolk Steam Mills


c.1905
c.1905

East Harling roller mills were started by Thomas Banyard Colman who moved his business to a modern mill, leaving East Harling watermill.

Thomas Banyard Colman c.1900
Thomas Banyard Colman c.1900

Around the turn of the 19th century Timothy Colman was working the mill with his nephew Banyard Colman until there was a family disagreement and the two fell out. Banyard then decided to open his own mill at East Harling station in opposition to his uncle. It appears the new mill was more efficient and eventually the watermill was forced to close before being demolished, possibly as early as c.1908.


Fred Ward & son Bobbie - 1929
Fred Ward & son Bobbie - 1929
Fred Ward was a journeyman miller at Thelnetham 1899 - 1913

Kelly's Directories of 1908, 1912, 1916 and 1922 only listed Thomas Banyard Colman as a farmer

Kelly's 1900:
Thomas Banyard Colman, roller flour miller, corn, coal, cake, seed & manure merchant & farmer. The Mills

Kelly's 1904:
Thomas Banyard Colman, roller flour miller, corn, coal, cake, seed & manure merchant, The New mills, Harling station; farmer, Flint Hall farm, East Harling & Manor farm, Bridgham.

Kelly's 1908: Christopher George Pattinson, coal merchant & miller

Kelly's 1912: Christopher George Pattinson, coal merchant & miller

1926: Fred Ward, journeyman miller, working at mill


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

 
Top of Page
Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007